Author Topic: Fuel pump not working.  (Read 1521 times)

joncon

• View Profile
    • Email
Fuel pump not working.
« on: April 07, 2015, 10:07:04 PM »
Went to get my J out of storage and the fuel pump's no longer working, I had to rig up a electric pump to move it.
Anyone had any experience with  "Then and Now' or "The Classic Preservation Coalition" rebuilding your fuel pump? Mine is a Carter double action pump.
51 Henry J
63 R1 Studebaker
70 Chevy pickup
33 Ford
72 Chevy pickup

DTort96646

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Fuel pump not working.
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2015, 04:25:29 AM »
I have purchased fuel pump kits from Classic Preservation Coalition, and am completely satisfied with him. Ships quickly and for a small fee will attach the diaphragm to you fuel pump rod. He also rebuilds fuel pumps. I don't recommend you rebuild your own unless you have some experience. Gasoline in the crankcase can be as  dangerous as gasoline under the hood.

joefrazer

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2015, 04:39:00 AM »
I had Then and Now rebuild the pump for my supercharged 54K. They did an excellent job and the pump looks and works like new. Too bad I can't say the same for the rest of the engine1

AZ_HJ

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2015, 05:19:02 AM »
Then and Now did mine and I was real please with their work.
1948 Willy CJ2A Jeep
1952 Henry J Vagabond Deluxe
1953 Kaiser Traveler Deluxe

Corsairdeluxe

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2015, 10:36:33 AM »
Used this new pump ,on my Henry J 6,rather than get my old one rebuilt after some prior bad experiences. It works well. Been going strong for over a year. I recommended it to Big Dave who did the same .No problems. You may have to redo the line From the pump to the carb. Regardless of how you go, I recommend a filter before the pump. Most in use pump failures are the valves failing to seat due to sediment from the lines or tank.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Airtex-4318-Mechanical-Fuel-Pump-New-/321606590519?hash=item4ae13f2037&vxp=mtr
Jim Brown aka Corsairdeluxe
10 Henrys and 1 ALLSTATE
behind me. J less at the moment and having irrational thoughts.

joncon

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2015, 03:48:59 PM »
Thanks for all the info and help. I removed the pump and took off the bottom, everything looked good the diaphragm looked like new. The  inlet had a lot of rust pieces in it I cleaned everything and reinstalled the pump. It works fine now. I left the electric pump installed  with a toggle switch in case I ever need it. Went for a test drive 55-60mph no  problems. So I guess I lucked out this time. I have a filter back by the tank.
51 Henry J
63 R1 Studebaker
70 Chevy pickup
33 Ford
72 Chevy pickup