Author Topic: Rebuild Engine in my 49 Kaiser  (Read 2993 times)

JoeKeys2010

• View Profile
    • Email
Rebuild Engine in my 49 Kaiser
« on: July 04, 2015, 06:38:48 PM »
I've been driving my 49 Kaiser back and forth to church and on short runs around town. The water pump locked up on me and I replaced it but now I'm getting some blow back in the raditor. The car leaks oil and when I last had it on the rack you could move the crank back and forth. I'm thinking its time to pull the motor and rebuild it.

I'm capable of doing it myself but was wondering if anyone know someone reliable I could ship the motor to and have it rebuilt?  Another question I'd ask is once the motor is rebuilt is it reliable to go on longer trips? I don't really want to swap out engine for something more modern.
1949 Kaiser Deluxe
1964 Ford Custom (Galaxie)
1960 Metropolitan

joefrazer

• View Profile
Re: Rebuild Engine in my 49 Kaiser
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2015, 06:50:13 PM »
The 226 is a good engine that once rebuilt should give excellent service. In a car with overdrive long trips should be no problem.

There are rebuilders who advertise in the bulletin. I have no experience with them so I cannot offer an opinion.

JoeKeys2010

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2015, 07:00:23 PM »
Thanks. I'll take a look. Mine does not have overdrive. Is that difficult to install?
1949 Kaiser Deluxe
1960 Metropolitan

JFerriss

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2015, 08:04:18 PM »
I agree with Jim Lape that properly rebuilt and maintained KF 226 flatheads can take you anywhere. I drove mine all over sometimes on 600 - 700 mile long trips without any problems.

joefrazer

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2015, 09:20:12 PM »
OD is not a difficult install. You'll need the transmission, the correct front drive shaft, the wiring harness and the relay. You'll also need the cable assembly. The rear axle uses a different ratio with OD but I didn't change mine when I added it to my car and while I won't win a race off the line, I do see much better gas mileage.

JoeKeys2010

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2015, 12:45:31 PM »
Is there a difference in the length of the transmission that would require changing the driveshaft?
1949 Kaiser Deluxe
1960 Metropolitan

joefrazer

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2015, 03:07:13 PM »
Yes, the OD transmission is physically longer than the standard unit. This requires the use of a shorter front shaft.

Corsairdeluxe

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2015, 05:59:14 PM »
Joe ... Please note that this article applies to a Henry J. In your case the  transmission type, dimensions and details would be different but the work outlined is the same.
Jim Brown aka Corsairdeluxe
10 Henrys and 1 ALLSTATE
behind me. J less at the moment and having irrational thoughts.

51Deluxe

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2015, 07:47:36 PM »
Properly rebuilt is the key word. Check their reputation of course, but I'm sure the long time advertisers in the bulletin are qualified to properly rebuild the motor. If they are not near you and you have to resort to a local rebuilder, check them out even more carefully. Their are several gotchas when it comes to rebuilding the 226, having to do with installing the main seals, proper head torquing, not overboring, installing  exhaust manifolds, etc. Not claiming to be an expert, just going by what I've read- and I've read it all.

JoeKeys2010

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2015, 08:15:26 AM »
I read some of the same things. I'd ship the motor to someone who knows what he is doing rather than use someone who has never seen it. That's one of the reasons I don't want to try to build it myself unless I could find someone to walk me through it.

It's my car and I care more about it being rebuilt correctly than the cost.

And thanks for the transmission document.
1949 Kaiser Deluxe
1960 Metropolitan

IowaTom

« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2015, 10:43:34 AM »
Joe - Know how you feel and I've been there many times with other cars I've owned.  Primarily Studebakers and their L-head 6, OHV-6 and V8s - all of which I have rebuilt.  It's actually great fun to do it yourself IF you take your time and keep your working area clean.

I would suggest finding a GOOD machine shop in your area that maybe has a few old-timers and a good reputation for tired iron.
Would save you a ton of money in shipping if you could disassemble as much of it as possible, saving all the parts in boxes, and taking it all in for them to hot tank, magnaflux (check for cracks) and they will likely tell you to get new valve guides, pistons, bearings... etc., many of which you can install yourself - or have them do it. 

The torque wrench is most important and again, a clean environment for working so as not to get any crud on crank or rod  journals as you seat new bearings. 

Really, it's not brain surgery and the thrill you get, having done it yourself is rewarding.

JoeKeys2010

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2015, 07:14:06 AM »
I've rebuilt small block Ford's and I have a 64 with a 427 that I built with someone looking over my shoulder. I've jus never built something as old as a Kaiser and besides the time, am afraid that I'll miss a trick or something. I have a parts cat with s motor in it but it's sitting in a field and pulling the motor would be aggravating.

We are getting ready to move so I will not jump on it for the next 30 to 60 days. Maybe a good project for the fall.

I don't mind so much spending the money as long as what I get back is done right. You've given me something to think on though.
1949 Kaiser Deluxe
1960 Metropolitan