Author Topic: Henry j Fuel pump  (Read 2591 times)

Corsairdeluxe

• View Profile
    • Email
Henry j Fuel pump
« on: August 26, 2014, 03:25:53 PM »
My J was in the garage of a house I sold had I was under pressure to move it. The fuel pump was bad. I do not have the strength in my hands any more  to replace the diaphragms on a dual action pump so I sent it out for repair. It came back, didn't work. I removed the dome from the fuel end and found that parts were missing(the pressed metal discs that go over the end  of the spring and keep it from wandering and the diaphragm was not hooked to the the lever. I'm under a lot of pressure so I take
 the number that is on the lip of the pump (4318)and try ebay. Surprise surprise.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Fuel-Pump-Checker-Kaiser-Frazer-Jeep-6-cyl-Double-diaphram-AC4318-/300945463780?pt=Vintage_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item4611bf59e4&vxp=mtr

It's the same as the 226 six. I do a little more snooping and come up with this.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Airtex-572-New-Mechanical-Fuel-Pump-/141381099298?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item20eaf85f22&vxp=mtr

The mechanism at the fuel pump is exactly the same as the 4318 and it is advertised as having an alcohol resistant diaphragm. I ordered it installed it and it works great.

If you have any experience with HJ 4's you know that you have to keep the metal fuel pump spacer between the pump and the engine or the output pressure will flood the carburetor. The 572 with no spacer delivers the right flow and psi for the six.

Remember ,I was under the gun to move the car, I might have done something different given the time.

Jim Brown aka Corsairdeluxe
10 Henrys and 1 ALLSTATE
behind me. J less at the moment and having irrational thoughts.

Corsairdeluxe

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Henry j Fuel pump
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2015, 08:02:42 AM »
While not specifically stated for a 4 cyl. ,I firmly believe it will work well if you have the spacer.

http://walcks4wd.com/fuel-pump-spacer.html
10 Henrys and 1 ALLSTATE

Corsairdeluxe

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2015, 10:00:50 AM »
It fit mine perfectly and performed well. Notice I installed a clear filter just before the pump. Every fuel pump failure I have ever had has been the fuel pump valves jamming with sediment.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2015, 10:07:10 AM by Corsairdeluxe »
10 Henrys and 1 ALLSTATE

alohagreen

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2015, 12:02:24 PM »
ah yep it works just fine
« Last Edit: July 17, 2015, 07:38:40 PM by alohagreen »
alohageen is here to help,
a little help goes a LONG way...