Author Topic: Big step today  (Read 1919 times)

IowaTom

Big step today
« on: July 24, 2015, 08:20:02 PM »
Guys I had to share my joy of rolling the frame out tonight!  My CFO said okay to a lift from Costco as I told her it'd be so much easier to change oil and rotate our cars tires...not to mention allowing me to perform a frame-ectomy on the '54.
Will get busy cleaning the frame to paint it and patching the floor in spots will be way easier.  I love this hoist!

joefrazer

• View Profile
Re: Big step today
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2015, 09:10:06 PM »
I'm jealous! I've been cleaning up the underside of my HJ the old fashioned way...cardboard on the ground and the car propped up on jack stands.

Keep us informed of your progress!

IowaTom

« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2015, 07:28:19 AM »
Doing that on your back is a killer!  I've been there with other cars.  Safety glasses and breathing thru your nose are a must!  This job is painstaking enough with the frame out and I'd love to find something as effective on grease as Airplane stripper is on paint.  I love Purple Power but it runs off when sprayed.  Need something to brush on, that will stay. 

Carpenter

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2015, 10:37:49 PM »
Try heavy duty oven cleaner.

IowaTom

« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2015, 03:57:41 AM »
Great idea!  Thanks!

IowaTom

« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2015, 08:20:23 AM »
I wound up using both oven cleaner and Gunk, but still had to use lots of elbow grease.
Have epoxy primed this side and hope to flip it and shoot the other side, then shoot some black I have.
Still having more fun than an old man should!

brian.b

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2015, 02:27:38 PM »
Blue wolf works great but it does run ...when i did my dodge truck frame i soaked it in blue wolf over night then pressure washed it the next day and it was un believable.....your frame looks great...what kind of black are you gonna use.....
whatever you do in life,always give 100%.unless your're donating blood.

IowaTom

« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2015, 03:55:38 PM »
Diamont from BASF that I paid entirely too much for, Brian.  The local NAPA sells Martin Seynor stuff that's less than half the price and just as good.   :P

h-e-n-r-y-j

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2015, 04:43:16 PM »
Tom: You will have even more fun if you don't keep track of how much $$ you are spending.