Author Topic: New Temprature Guage.  (Read 1407 times)

Quadromaniac

• View Profile
    • Email
New Temprature Guage.
« on: September 26, 2015, 10:25:48 PM »
I just finished replacing the speed-O-meter, temperature gauge and a new from NAPA TS 6464 temp sending unit on an early 1954 Kaiser special. the temp gauge did not work before replacing them and now the gauge goes to being almost pegged when it is running, but it is not overheating. Speed up the RPM's and it goes past hot until you let it idle then it goes to about 7/8s. Any ideas?

dpledger

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: New Temprature Guage.
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2015, 10:31:11 PM »
With the temp reading dependent on speed, is there a possibility that the instrument voltage regulator is malfunctioning? How are the other gauges reading?

Quadromaniac

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2015, 11:26:29 AM »
The gas gauge will only go to about 1/4 no matter how much gas is in it. Oil pressure seems to be working as does the amp gauge.

joefrazer

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2015, 12:38:04 PM »
The instrument voltage regulator needs replaced.

Fid

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2015, 12:38:56 PM »
I agree that the issue could be the instrument voltage regulator as the gas gauge and temp gauge run off that. The ammeter does not go through the regulator.  The oil gauge does though - but it's hard to say how each one will react.  Temp reads too high, gasoline too low.  Oil pressure within range... still could be the regulator on the instruments.  Also check for rusty or corroded connections.
1953 Henry J Corsair Deluxe
Edgar Kaiser's custom 1951 Henry J
1951 Kaiser Special
1952 Allstate Deluxe

Need your classic car radio repaired? I repair vacuum tube radios

Quadromaniac

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2015, 05:40:50 PM »
I check today again and the oil pressure is reading around 50 Pds when you are driving the car. I thought that could be normal. I am using 15w40 motor oil. This is the first oil change since I bought the car in May. The odometer shows 103,000 miles. I had no history on the motor from the fellow I bought it from.

Quadromaniac

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2015, 07:15:30 PM »
I have 2 more instrument clusters from 1951 Kaiser Delux. Will the regulators from those work on the 54?