Author Topic: 50 Frazer Rear main rope type crankshaft seal oil leaks.  (Read 1317 times)

Cwayne

• View Profile
50 Frazer Rear main rope type crankshaft seal oil leaks.
« on: November 28, 2009, 12:10:29 PM »
I have a substantial rear main seal leak in an engine that was completely rebuilt only a couple thousand miles ago (8 years ago).  Wonder if anyone could suggest a simple cure that can be done with the pan off and engine and transmission in place?  This rope type seal was carefully replaced at overhaul.  I have removed the pan a couple times and see nothing wrong.  The seal holder cap is tight and the seal looks good. 

Kenn Evans II

• MSN Messenger - winslowcemeteries@gmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: 50 Frazer Rear main rope type crankshaft seal oil leaks.
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2009, 02:14:12 AM »
When inspecting the seal, can you determine if it is leaking on top of or below the crank? you may also need to check that your not being compounded with excessive blowby.  This can be achieved by performing a compression test.   I did have a leak once and l purchased a tube of black rtv and i cleaned the pan with rubbing alcohol and put a thin bead down and around the top of the pan. I had to build up agood bead and let it set for a few hours and i added some pan spacers off a 350 chevy and torqued them to 30 inch pounds and it works sofar. The spacers are rounded L brackets and looked better than a short stack of washers.
Family of 1952 Kaiser Manhattan 1952 Kaiser Deluxe 1949 Kaiser Traveler 1961 Falcon Ranchero 1963 Galaxie 500 XL Conv. 1964 Cadillac Sovereign Landaulet combination ambulance hearse , 1970 Ford Truck F100 1972 Chevelle SS Conv.  1979 Chevrolet C100 KF Member # 10252