Author Topic: Installing inner bushings on upper and lower control arms - help, please.  (Read 1272 times)

jerussel

• View Profile
    • Email
So - I've got the rear end and rear brakes re-built and I'm getting ready to re-build the front suspension.
I've got all the parts; everything is painted and ready to go together...
Then, reading the manual, it seems I need  KF7 and KF9 gauge tools to get the inner bushings on the upper and lower control arms properly installed...

Well, these are most likely impossible to aquire, so, any thoughts on how to get the bushings installed properly?

Thanks in advance...

John
'51 Frazer Vagabond
doing a frame off restoration.

AZ_HJ

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Installing inner bushings on upper and lower control arms - help, please.
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2009, 03:18:59 PM »
Check with Rudy as he has many KF tools. He may rent them out.
1948 Willy CJ2A Jeep
1952 Henry J Vagabond Deluxe
1953 Kaiser Traveler Deluxe

dpledger

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Installing inner bushings on upper and lower control arms - help, please.
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2009, 11:44:41 PM »
I made this same inquiry some months back and got no response.Since that point I have replaced the arm bushings on my '53 Manhattan. What I did was before disassembling the arms make very precise measurements between the inner edges of the bushings and a convenient reference point on the shafts. When assembling, I just watched to make sure that the new installation ended up the same. Actually, it seemed that they wanted to tighten just to that point, so I am wondering how easy it is to get them wrong. Of course these were the original used arms-if you're installing new ones they may have to be squeezed into the proper configuration. Anyway, it seemed to come out fine. Seems I did this once circa 1977 the same way and happily drove a zillion miles until the recent replacement. If you have already disassembled things, I would suggest that you might get measurements off of another car.