Author Topic: speedometer '53 Kaiser  (Read 3123 times)

jmxkf1

• View Profile
    • Email
speedometer '53 Kaiser
« on: November 02, 2009, 03:31:28 PM »
The car has only 80k on the clock and the speedo has been working fine until yesterday when the needle suddenly dropped while I was driving.    There's been no erratic behavior or noises to warn as with other Kaisers.   I doubt if the cable suddenly snapped but I'll verify this anyhow.   Can the speedo head be rebuilt does anyone know?    Replacements?   thanks,  Jim

joefrazer

• View Profile
Re: speedometer '53 Kaiser
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2009, 06:12:04 PM »
There was a fellow near Detroit who rebuilt speedo heads...and he'd resilk screen the dials if wanted too. I don't have his name at hand...maybe this posting will jog someone's memory. I think he sold on ebay for a while...that might be a good place to check. You might also post on the AACA website at aaca.org.

jmxkf1

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2009, 01:41:18 PM »
Thanks for the info joefrazer.  I was advised to ask you about the speedo problem.   I took the cable off the head and found the cable had broken.  That's a new one.  It's usually the head that starts acting up.   There was plenty of grease too.   Anyway, the part # I found is 209290 for the auto trans on the '53K.  I measured 68 1/16" for the old one.  Any idea where I can find the cable?   thanks,   Jim

joefrazer

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2009, 05:15:04 PM »
Motormite makes a generic one that requires you to cut to length and then stake a square head on one end to mate with your speedo head. I've used them with success. Most any of the better auto parts stores should carry Motormite and have it in stock.

superk226

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2009, 10:51:27 PM »
Normally the cable twists off because the speedometer head is seized up. I would check the head and make sure it turns freely before installing a new cable and twisting it off.

Roger

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2009, 12:42:14 PM »
Hello there maybe other reasons for the speedo cable to twist off. (1) the outer cable could be kinked (check it closely especially where it goes through the fire wall) (2) if the weather was cold water could have got in an froze.  Another thing we use to do was put a slight bit of oil on the cable end that goes into the speedo head (very little oil just enough to give the bushing a little lubrication.
  One more thing if my memory serves me, there is a right way and a wrong way to install the cable the wrong way will bring oil up from the transmission into the speedo head.

jmxkf1

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2009, 03:41:31 PM »
I found a universal cable from Napa, I believe it's #6151604, which seemed like it would work.   I cut it down and put the end on.  So far so good.  When I installed it and tested it in the car, the cable immediately broke.   Now I've sent the head off for testing or rebuilding.  It didn't seem like the head had seized up, as superk226 suggested, since I could turn the end with my fingers so I'm waiting for the diagnosis from the speedo shop.  Thanks all,   Jim

jmxkf1

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2010, 01:14:01 PM »
It turned out to be the speedo head.  After the rebuild it seems to be fine.  thanks to all