Author Topic: Wiring 53 Manhattan  (Read 1943 times)

cplne

• View Profile
    • Email
Wiring 53 Manhattan
« on: November 13, 2009, 11:54:45 AM »
Hi All

I am replacing the wiring on the Manhattan.  During the removal of the engine wiring there is a switch that is on the steering arm.  There are two wires that go to the switch however they have been cut at some point in her life.  Any ideas when I go back in with the new harness ???

Thanks

Mark

superk226

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Wiring 53 Manhattan
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2009, 12:15:43 AM »
Assuming your car has an automatic transmission in it, one wire goes to the starter solenoid and the other one goes the ignition switch. The switch on the steering column is the neutral safety switch to prevent the car from starting when it is in gear. Someone may have bypassed the safety switch because it is bad or not positioned correctly to allow the engine to start.

cplne

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2009, 08:44:47 AM »
Thanks

Any idea how I can test this switch to see if it is good or not.  Any replacement switches out there?

Thanks

mark

superk226

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2009, 12:01:08 AM »
The easiest way to test the switch is with an ohm meter. The switch is closed ( zero ohms ) in the neutral position. In any position other than neutral the switch should read open on the ohms scale. If you do not have an ohm meter, use a jumper to apply power to one side of the switch. Connect a six volt bulb to the other side side of the switch and ground the bulb. The bulb should light up only when the switch is in the neutral position. If the bulb does not light up the switch is bad.

cplne

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2010, 02:52:51 PM »
Thanks for the help.  FYI I just received my new wiring harness from Robert McBride.  Really nice, Robert does outstanding work at a reasonable price.

Mark