Author Topic: Removing the Dash on a 53 Manhattan  (Read 2223 times)

cplne

• View Profile
    • Email
Removing the Dash on a 53 Manhattan
« on: January 07, 2010, 02:49:27 PM »
Hi All

I need to remove the dash on our 53 Manhattan.  The repair manual indicates that there is some kind of special tool required however it is beyond me.  Any advice removing the dash.

Thanks

Mark

joefrazer

• View Profile
Re: Removing the Dash on a 53 Manhattan
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2010, 05:33:29 PM »
I know of no special tool to remove the dash in a 53 Kaiser...however...there is a special tool needed to remove some of the knobs on the dash. KF had a special tool, but you can use a paper clip too. For those knobs that have a small hole near the base, insert a straightened paper clip and feel around for a small tab. Gently pull on the knob and push in on the tab at the same time. When the tab releases, the knob will pull free of the post.
Some knobs are held on with set screws (radio) and others need the clip treatment. Check each to see which is which.

To remove the speedometer cluster, you will need a short phillips head screwdriver since there screws that are real close to the windshield. Originall, the cluster was installed before the glass so service today is tricky. Be careful once the cluster is loose as the wiring will be stiff and brittle. Also, it's best to remove the speedo cable from behind before pulling the cluster. The cable just unscrews from the had.

Hope this helps!

superk226

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2010, 11:44:23 PM »
If I remember correctly, the dashboard is spot welded in place. What are you trying to accomplish? 

cplne

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2010, 02:21:22 PM »
That's what it looks like to me.  I am trying to reupholster the bamboo vinyl.  Also replacing all the wiring and thought if I had the dash out for reupholster it would be easier.  I removed all the knobs when I removed the wiring and many fell apart.  Would it be easier for me to take her to an upholstery shop when I am ready to install the interior?

ben-tex

• View Profile
    • KF NUT
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2010, 04:51:29 PM »
I know on the 51 models KF offered a replacement vinyl cover that could be installed without removing the dash. The shop manual refers to this and states "follow the directions supplied with the replacement cover." I recall seeing an article somewhere on this--may have been in an early Quarterly prior to my time as Editor.
Life Member
Quarterly Editor 1985-2001
Developed first official club website
1951 Kaiser Deluxe
1951 Frazer Vagabond
2008 Pacemaker :)

joefrazer

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2010, 05:33:55 PM »
Replacing the dash cover will including dropping all of the lower panels, (where all of the knobs are located) removing the instrument cluster and base, radio grille and lower windshield inner garnish molding. I do not recall if the glass has to come out but it wouldn't surprise me if it did.