Author Topic: Rubbing shoulders with the automotive elite  (Read 2496 times)

Gordie

• MSN Messenger - gordies1@verizon.net
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Gordie
    • View Profile
    • Email
Rubbing shoulders with the automotive elite
« on: June 08, 2016, 10:51:49 PM »
I used to have a used car lot on Automobile Row in Santa Monica Ca for many years and it wasn't unusual to have movie actors come by and want to buy or sell a car.  When they sold me their car I would usually give  them a ride home in my 1939 Ford convertible sedan and they enjoyed the ride.  One of my customers was Luther Iskenderian, brother of Ed the owner and maker of all of that great racing equipment.  Luther bought several cars from me over the years and the last one was probably forty years ago.  Last night I went to my local V-8 Ford Club meeting and  Ed had been invited to give us a talk on the beginnings of his career and it was very interesting.  After the meeting I introduced myself to Ed and asked him if he remembered brother Luther's 56 Chevrolet station wagon.  "So that is where that car came from!  It is still parked in my back yard!  That should be worth some money!"  Ed is 95 years young and is very healthy and mentioned that he had been invited to go to England next month to give a talk there.  We were very lucky to have such a great automotive icon give us a visit.  While in Santa Monica I used to see an old lady drive by in a beautiful black '51 Kaiser Club Coupe.  I would see it occasionally and never found out who owned it.  While reading the local newspaper one evening I saw an ad for a '51 Coupe.  I called the number in the ad immediately and the seller said that I was too late!  "I just sold it to Dutch Darrin".  Dutch also lived in Santa Monica and beat me to that one.  I always liked club coupes and had five before I found my low mile original that was owned by a Kaiser plant worker who had walked the car down the assembly line but that is another story.
Member #3151 Since June 1974
Vice President K.F.O.C.I. 2013-2017  President 2018-2019
'47 Graham Paige Frazer                                   
'51 Kaiser Deluxe club coupe       
'51 Kaiser customized convertible 
'52 Allstate serial#39
'53 Aero Eagle
'54 Aero Eagle Custom

Jerry Wilbeck

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Rubbing shoulders with the automotive elite
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2016, 12:46:23 AM »
Great story!
Thank you for sharing with us.

G.B. (All Vinyl Dragon)

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2016, 03:48:06 AM »
Gordie,
Wonderful Stories like this one should make Everyone  tuned into Our Forms want to Join Our Club.

Then study the history of the Product they love the Best... We have many unique, First's, & one of a kind.
Research on All Vinyl Dragons & Dragon List.
G.B. Bonham LM  K.F.O.C. Club.
Also: Vintage Electronics, TV, Stereo, Radio, & Broadcasting.
Looking for Kaye Halbert TV, 27 inch screen mid 50's
made in Culver City, Calif.

Fid

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2016, 08:22:00 AM »
Great story Gordie!
1953 Henry J Corsair Deluxe
Edgar Kaiser's custom 1951 Henry J
1951 Kaiser Special
1952 Allstate Deluxe

Need your classic car radio repaired? I repair vacuum tube radios

MarkH

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2016, 08:46:28 PM »
Great story, thanks for posting it!
Fully restored '54 Aero Lark
Rusty '58 Austin Healey 100-Six
Barely running'74 Chevelle Malibu

Aeroman

• View Profile
    • Willys Aero Survival Count
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2016, 01:05:47 PM »
Gordie, I still remember your shop off Pico or Olympic. I remember when you had the Dale (what a scam!) sitting there and the Charles Manson '59 Galaxie. I also remember you picked-up 3 Russian GAZ jeeps. There were always KF products there as well as your '39 or '40 Mercuries. Always a great destination on my day off and a good place to hang out. You'll have to share those stories with us some time.
Rick Kamen
KFOCI LM4314 since 1979
Willys Aero Survival Count
aeroman@aol.com
http://clubs.hemmings.com/willysaero
1954 Willys Aero Eagle "Old Toby"
1964 Ford Econoline panel van
Once owned 11 other Willys Aeros and a Willys wagon, 2 Kaisers, 1 Henry J, plus Studebakers, Hudsons, a Nash and others.

BigDave LM6174

• 1951 Kaiser Deluxe & 1952 Henry J Corsair Deluxe
    • MSN Messenger - dball344@msn.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2016, 12:42:19 AM »
Thanks for sharing Gordy!
Big Dave
KFOCI LM 6174
Whittier, CA.
1951 Kaiser Deluxe
1952 Henry J Corsair Deluxe
1958 Lido 14 Sailboat W/Trailer
1958 Carry All Trailer

R-Sargent

• 51 Kaiser 2dr sedan , 51 Frazer Vagabond
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2016, 02:07:15 AM »
Interesting story if my father Calvin Sargent was still alive he would maybe remember your place , we lived in santa monica from about 56' to 61' before moving to washington  Dad always had a KF in the driveway also some customized vehicles he built sitting around i remember the henry j with the 57 pontiac J-2 engine and hydramatic in it . He worked at Scotties auto rebuild.

Gordie

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2016, 06:08:06 PM »
I probably just missed your Dad as I did not get my dealer license until 1962 although I used another dealers license for about a year before that.  I had always loved old cars and I certainly enjoyed fifty years of buying and selling over 10,000 of them during my time in the business.  The car wholesalers and even the new car dealers and salesmen would bring in a car to sell and as soon as they parked  it we would all run out look in the trunk and under the back seat and there was usually some change there and many times more. Also drug paraphernalia.  Once I bought an Oldsmobile and upon looking under the front seat I discovered a long hose attached to a bracket that went thru the floor boards and the other end to a funnel.  It took me a little while to figure out that the driver could relieve himself with out stopping while on the highway!  Fortunately  that device was never popular enough to make Pep Boys stores.  Independent makes were always a bargain in the used car market and Packards, K-F, Hudsons , Nashes, and Studebakers were always priced lower.  I once sold a fifties Studebaker for $39.00 and I had to take another car in trade for $15.00.  Somewhere in my memorabilia I have a photo of an Allstate car that I had on the lot for $199.00 and it had a rebuilt engine.  I always painted the price on the windshields in yellow paint.  I turned an old Rambler upside down on the corner of the lot just to get attention.  It got people to look.  I doubt that it would be legal today and I called the Fire Dept. first and they said to be sure to empty the gas tank first which we did.  Cars were cheap in those days and I will tell you abut some classics that we had. 
'47 Graham Paige Frazer                                   
'52 Allstate serial#39
'53 Aero Eagle
'54 Aero Eagle Custom

Roadmaster49

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2016, 08:10:05 AM »
Yea Gordie - add me to the group that loves these stories and can't get enough.  I can picture the lot in my mind.   But, if you had photos you could scan and add that would be better still!
No old cars owned.

54manhattan13

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2016, 10:19:39 AM »
I agree, We need these story's to be recorded for the future.

Gordie

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2016, 12:27:42 AM »
I used to have a pretty large collection of automobile sales catalogs and Ford memorabilia as I was really into Fords for many years.  When I sold my literature collection about twelve years ago we carried over 200 boxes up to the sellers truck and he had to make a few trips to get it to his house.  I decided to move to Missouri ten years ago and that was a big mistake but I did buy two U-Haul trucks and made eighteen trips from Los Angeles to Missouri hauling the balance of my collectibles and cars to property that I bought there.  Somewhere in those 400 boxes are my photos and on my trip East to Springfield next month I will stop in MO and look for pictures.  I'm glad that you enjoy the stories and I will tell you about buying the car used in the Sharon Tate and La Bianca murders by Charles Manson and the only running Dale car which is quite a story if you are familiar with her-him.  You might Google the Dale car or Elizabeth Carmichael for a heads up.  It won't be long until our National Meet in Springfield and I will look to seeing many of you there!
'47 Graham Paige Frazer                                   
'52 Allstate serial#39
'53 Aero Eagle
'54 Aero Eagle Custom