Author Topic: Newbie  (Read 1638 times)

Tron1

• View Profile
    • Email
« on: June 20, 2016, 07:39:20 AM »
Hi guys

Just thought I'd introduce myself as my account has just been approved, I am 20 yrs old I live in the UK and really admire the Henry J, I currently have a vw campervan that I have fully restored, but will be looking for guidance or any information possible to buying a Henry J and importing it into the UK in the next year or 2 if finances allow. I will be looking if I am correct (please correct me if I'm wrong) for a 1951 Henry J Allstate I believe.

Thanks guys  :)

Bobm90

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Newbie
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2016, 08:19:35 AM »
Hi Tron,
Welcome to the club, I can't help with Henry J questions but if you look back to yesterdays posts there is a Allstate for sale on e Bay, some of the guys here may have info on that one. If you read my profile you will see my 54 Manhattan and because I have restored a 59 Morris 2 dr saloon (and have it for sale now due to health issues) I feel like I am part Brit. so welcome aboard if I can be of any help please e mail me.
Bob
1931 Model A Ford Deluxe Coupe
1959 Mercury 4 Dr
1958 Chevrolet Bel Air 2 Dr
1959 Morris Minor 1000 2 Dr
1954 Kaiser Manhattan 4 Dr

Fid

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2016, 12:45:12 PM »
Welcome Tron1 - There's a lot of Henry J knowledge among the members of this forum.  You mentioned you were looking for a '51 Allstate and ask that you be corrected if wrong.  There were no 1951 Allstates. The Allstate was produced in 1952 and 1953 models and they are very rare.  They do show up for sale from time to time so remain vigilant.  Otherwise, Henry Js do show up on ebay as well but I highly recommend consulting this forum before making any decisions as many of them are cobbled together, overpriced cars offered by ignorant sellers.  Here's a classic example -

http://www.ebay.com/itm/272263339119?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

There are so many issues with this car they cannot all be listed but the seller believes it's "original and complete" - it's not. And it's overpriced by at least twice what it might really sell for.
So check here first!
« Last Edit: November 21, 2016, 10:09:51 PM by Fid »
1953 Henry J Corsair Deluxe
Edgar Kaiser's custom 1951 Henry J
1951 Kaiser Special
1952 Allstate Deluxe

Need your classic car radio repaired? I repair vacuum tube radios

Tron1

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2016, 01:32:37 PM »
Hi Fid

thank you for the correction, i have seen that car listed on ebay many times, it was listed last year before i found this forum, i have found various craigslist ads for vehicles for sale from various places like vegas, Minnesota (apologies if i have spelt that wrong) etc and for  a as complete as possible project car, that does need work i have seen them sell for around $3000 to $4000 dollars. is this something to be wary of?  i would certainly consult this forum first for vehicles for sale as like the rare vehicle clubs in the uk, there tends to be a lot of knowledge of cars that are layed up awaiting a genuine generous owner that don't get much attention from public sale sites like eBay.i am keen to learnt the variations of the henry j before deciding on the model i like or can afford, i am looking to build a clean subtle car with my own added touches. The first few pictures i saw of a henry j were done as pro street race cars in the uk, but the picture that really made me fall for the car was this link below due to how the colour highlights all the body lines, and how everything blends nicely without destroying the car.

http://www.hotrod.com/cars/featured/1305sr-1951-kaiser-henry-j/

is there anything that should immediately deter me from the vehicle, i.e no log book.

p.s all help is greatly appreciated guys.

Josh

Fid

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2016, 03:31:32 PM »
Hi Tron1,  if you're looking for a car to customize, that makes a difference as you can pretty much do what you want with any model you find.  The only thing that may put limitations on it is that some Henry Js did not have a trunk lid and it would be very difficult to modify one so that it does.  The 1951 Henry Js, and the early 1952s (which were left over '51s which had not been sold by the end of the '51 model year) do not have a glove compartment. Adding one may not be easy so if those two features are important, then  you may want to look for a late '52 or later model.  Many people prefer the '51 style grill and it's very easy to install that grill in the later cars.  You see that done a lot because the later cars had the tail lights on the fins and have a glove compartment in the dash.  If you were going for something original and authentic, that makes it a bit limiting but if you're going  to customize many options are available. I guess the other thing you would have to consider is getting large parts shipped the the UK. 
1951 Kaiser Special
1952 Allstate Deluxe

Tron1

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2016, 03:54:50 PM »
At right, you have touched on something there that completely confused me, if I'm thinking right from what you have said  the later cars have lights in the fenders and a glove compartment. Can these lights be traditionally grafted out so you are left with the trunk and glove compartment but the sleek lines of a earlier model. I don't plan on huge modifications to a Gasser styled ride but traditional customs with customisation  that have to be looked for, I.e losing the tailights on a later model. I have seen a Henry J complete in Denver, which has as listed in the as the supersix engine which is the 6 cylinder. Is there much that can be done with these engines as I'd like to try and keep it as period as possible, and hopefully if possible depending on feedback and advice for the engine put the six cylinder in. I don't want to modernize the car too much but want it to be reliable. I really do appreciate your time in your replies and I understand it must be difficult trying to explain all the difference to a novice like myself. Your advice is being taken and noted ready for when I decide to purchase one.

Josh

Fid

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2016, 10:57:05 PM »
Can these lights be traditionally grafted out so you are left with the trunk and glove compartment but the sleek lines of a earlier model.

All Henry Js used the same body shell. They have bolt on fenders which will swap between all models.
1951 Kaiser Special
1952 Allstate Deluxe

Tron1

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2016, 03:08:34 AM »
That's good to know, thank you for your knowledge and time.