Author Topic: rain leaks into car through '53 Kaiser heater box  (Read 1384 times)

jmxkf1

• View Profile
    • Email
rain leaks into car through '53 Kaiser heater box
« on: November 07, 2016, 01:34:10 PM »
Hi All,
The heater core is fine so this is not a radiator leak.   I can't locate where the rain is getting into the car.  I've sealed around the box at firewall as much as I can reach.  I haven't tried jacking up the car and sealing the bottom yet. 
 I'm trying to avoid having to completely take the heater out of the car since much is involved. 
There must be someone else who has chased down water leaks.   What are the likely leak points I should be checking?   thanks,   Jim

joefrazer

• View Profile
Re: rain leaks into car through '53 Kaiser heater box
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2016, 03:36:39 PM »
The more likely spot water is getting in is at the wiper mounts or lower windshield gasket. KF published several service bulletins about water leaks in this area and that's where they focused their attention.

njpatera

• MSN Messenger - pateraclass@msn.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2016, 03:50:39 PM »
I was going to say that too....you can always lightly spray with a hose to recreate in isolated areas to verify. You may have to tape off areas...I did this with one of my old galaxies. Small hairline split in the windshield gasket that allowed the water to run down the the firewall in the cabin area and traveled down the heater core area.
Regards,
Noah

'54 Darrin
'55 Victoria
'56 Victoria
-'59 Galaxie/Fairlane Convert.
'61 Falcon 2dr wagon
-'62 Galaxie 500XL Convertible

Member #5954
The Nifty Fifties NE Ohio
Drummer: Moving in Stereo, Cleveland’s Tribute to The CARS

dpledger

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2016, 11:23:25 PM »
Well, I had a leak going into the heater box too- checked the core and seemed tight. Finally got around to pressurizing it and then it leaked

jmxkf1

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2016, 03:38:18 PM »
I pulled out several parts to access the firewall from the inside.  There are two openings.   The one on the right for the vent opening was/is leaking around the outside bottom edge.  Rather than pull the whole heater box out I simply sealed around the edge of the opening along the firewall and this should do it(?). 
 I haven't tested yet because in the process I found  that the heater control valve body is broken off from the face plate on the inside so the pull handle control wasn't moving the little lever to open the valve.  I now know why the heater didn't get very hot. 
 I have to find another temp control valve now before doing final testing for water leaks.
I'll check everyone's suggested leak spots before reassembly.    Thanks to All.    Jim[/size]