Author Topic: Grease Vent on 1953 Kaiser Dragon Rear Axle  (Read 1170 times)

Geoff Hacker

• View Profile
    • Email
Grease Vent on 1953 Kaiser Dragon Rear Axle
« on: April 15, 2017, 11:21:34 AM »
Hi Gang....

We're doing some rehab on the rear axle of my car and pushing grease through the zerk fitting at the rear part of the axle near each drum.  As we pushed the old grease out through the bearing it also came out from a (surprise) vent hole at the top of each axle.  See attached photo.  This may be how it is supposed to work, but it seems that the hole near the top of the axle for each bearing could also get water, dirt, sand etc in it.  Is there some type of plug that should be in this hole that is missing?

Any advice you can lend is greatly appreciated.  Thanks.

Geoff

joefrazer

• View Profile
Re: Grease Vent on 1953 Kaiser Dragon Rear Axle
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2017, 02:24:48 PM »
The hole in the top of the axle should be filled with a plug. At regular service intervals, ~2000 miles, the plug is to be removed and a zerk installed. The shop manual says to apply a half ounce of grease with a low pressure gun. Too much could cause the wheel seal to rupture.

Geoff Hacker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2017, 12:38:55 PM »
Jim...

There are 2 holes per side near the backing plate that give access to greasing the axle - at least on my '53 Dragon (previously owned by Bill Siereveld).  One is the plug/zerk fitting that faces toward the rear of the car on each side of the axle.  This is what I'm used to seeing.  When we were pumping new grease into the zerk fittings on both sides two new holes became apparent.  You can see these in the attached photos.  Both are very small and are at the 12 o'clock position in the same area as the zerk fittings.  When we fill each side, grease comes out thru the bearings and this tiny vent hole.  Seems to me there should be some type of plug to keep out dirt, moisture etc in this tiny hole at the 12 o'clock position at each end of the rear axle.

The holes are not new.  Bill owned the car for 28+ years.  Any advice you can lend is greatly appreciated.

Geoff

joefrazer

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2017, 07:26:57 PM »
Well, according to the shop manual, the top holes should be filled with a plug that can be removed to add grease via a zerk. I'll crawl under my 53 when I'm at the shop next and see how my car is set up.

MarkH

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2017, 03:04:24 PM »
My Aero has  similar system, end bearings lubed separate from the differential. There actually a service bulletin for the Aero to clear the top relief hole with a wire or tool before greasing in case it's plugged, so as to not overpressure the seal & force grease past the outer seal & foul the brake shoes.
There's another vent hole on the back side of the left axle tube, possibly not on your Kaiser, that vents the differential. I highlighted the holes in yellow on mine when I painted to possibly alert some unknown person in the future there's something going on there, photos attached.
Fully restored '54 Aero Lark
Rusty '58 Austin Healey 100-Six
Barely running'74 Chevelle Malibu

Geoff Hacker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2017, 06:10:59 PM »
Mark H....thanks for the detail.  I also checked with noted Kaiser expert - Randy Rutherford - who confirmed these top holes are for venting and should be left open.  And you are right - I am glad the vent holes on mine are cleared but I think others might need to clear them with a wire too.  Good point!

Thanks for your help and have a nice evening...

Geoff

Bob G

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2017, 09:50:40 AM »
This is very educational. Did not think about the "where and what" of grease fittings for my new '54 Special until I read this. Since there are always plenty of things to address on a newly acquired vehicle.
'54 Kaiser Special
'64 Studebaker GT Hawk

joefrazer

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2017, 09:54:35 AM »
I checked my 53K and it has a plug in the spot where the shop manual says there should be one.

njpatera

• MSN Messenger - pateraclass@msn.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2017, 10:31:43 AM »
Curious...is it a threaded plug or a knock/push in?
Regards,
Noah

'54 Darrin
'55 Victoria
'56 Victoria
-'59 Galaxie/Fairlane Convert.
'61 Falcon 2dr wagon
-'62 Galaxie 500XL Convertible

Member #5954
The Nifty Fifties NE Ohio
Drummer: Moving in Stereo, Cleveland’s Tribute to The CARS