Author Topic: REAR BRAKE CYLINDERS  (Read 4999 times)

Terry T

• EX--Editor Darrin Newsletter/Registry
    • View Profile
    • Email
REAR BRAKE CYLINDERS
« on: April 14, 2010, 07:49:52 PM »
What is a current available part number for rear brake cylinders on 47-55 Kaisers?  Ref. KF#200199
The casting number on the one I removed does not compute to current parts.
Thanks.

HJ-ETEX

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: REAR BRAKE CYLINDERS
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2010, 08:51:33 PM »
Terry - For some years the common replacement for the rear wheel cylinders on big KF products has been the cylinders as used on Willys Station Wagons & Trucks equipped with 226 engines. The only difference is that the steel line enters at an angle. Thus there are left & right part numbers where the original KF part was the same left & right. If you tweak the steel line, you can use the left on the right. I believe these replacements were available because there were still 4WD Willys vehicles in use out west.
KFOCI VP 2001-2005
1951 Kaiser Deluxe /327 Chevy
1951 Kaiser Deluxe (no funny stuff)
1968 Kaiser Commando V6
1961 Willys 2WD 134 F-Head SW
1963 Kaiser FC170

Logan

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2010, 09:29:12 PM »
I recently bought 4 new cylinders from Kaiser Willys http://www.kaiserwillys.com/ I had to drill 2 extra holes in the front right backing plate, but everything hooked up fine.  Price was reasonable as well.

Orphanauto

• View Profile
    • www.orphanauto.webs.com
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2010, 04:13:45 PM »
I recently bought two rear wheel cylinders from Kaiser Willy's also, I thought the price was very reasonable, considering we are talking about getting new parts for cars not made in over 55 years.  Yes, I did have to bend the line abit, as mentioned, but that wasn't a problem, as the line is long enough, and worked great. CAUTION: use a hub puller to pull the drums off, not a drum puller, a hub puller will bolt up to the wheel bolts, and then you have the center right in. IF you use the type that grabs the sides of the drum, it may pull the drum from the outside, and bend it up. The lesson is to use the CORRECT tool, I will plead the 5th if you ask how I know, but all I will say is , I am waiting on my used drum to come in so I can finish the brake job. I will be ordering cylinders for the front. hope that helps.
1953 Kaiser Manhattan 4-door

GA Kaiser

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2010, 03:46:15 PM »
Hi guys.  I just had my '54 at the shop for a brake adjustment and he said my rear drums were way out of round and it seemed like someone had taken a torch to them.  In fact, he could not get one of them off.  He said he will need to heat it with a torch to do so, but that will ruin the drum even more and we want to have replacements ready before we do that.  Can you recommend a good source for two rear drums? 

He also said my front brake cylinders were leaking.  Does Kaiser Willys have the fronts, too?  Are they the same, or left and right?  Thanks.
GA Kaiser
1954 Manhattan

joefrazer

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2010, 04:04:52 PM »
Front wheel cylinders on the big Kaisers are different side to side. The guts are the same, but how they mount does differ. KaiserWillys should have them. As for drums, they are not aftermarket available...your best bet is to try some of the parts vendors listed in the club's monthly bulletin.

AZ_HJ

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2010, 04:06:22 PM »
Check with Larry Barker (The Kaiser Store) for '54 Brake Drums. Call him at 602-468-1403 or cell 602-373-1456. It may cost you quite a bit for USPS shipping, so you might want to have them shipped UPS Ground to save.
1948 Willy CJ2A Jeep
1952 Henry J Vagabond Deluxe
1953 Kaiser Traveler Deluxe

GA Kaiser

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2010, 09:37:03 PM »
Thanks for the information on the cylinders and drums.  I bought from Larry Barker before and was happy with the part.  I will follow your advice. 
GA Kaiser
1954 Manhattan