Author Topic: What color this fabric?  (Read 2018 times)

Carl Eidsness

• View Profile
    • Email
What color this fabric?
« on: July 21, 2017, 09:01:24 AM »
Here is a picture of the original fabric in my '48 Kaiser Special with a trim code of 122.  As you can see the colors are so faded it is impossible to know what they really were.  Can anyone tell me, or know of a car where this original fabric is still in good shape?  Name, number?

The pattern repeats itself every 3/4 inch.  It contains 2 identical narrow stripes 1/8" thick, and 2 1/4" stripes, one a solid color, the other consisting of smaller diagonal light colored stripes within the vertical stripe.

thanks,
Carl

1948 Kaiser Special
1959 Ford retractable hardtop convertible
1929 REO Flying Cloud coupe
1929 REO Flying Cloud sedan

Kory Fox

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: What color this fabric?
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2017, 01:44:53 PM »
Don't  know what it's called but I need the same stuff. If you find any please let me know.

MarkH

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2017, 05:18:39 PM »
I had similar identification issues with my Aero fabrics. There were several areas with less exposure damage and we chose the best of those, carefully split the seams and found strips of original color large enough to get perfect matches.

Issues like this is where a (recently discussed) gallery of photos & trim codes would be very useful as opposed to a verbal description with various possible "correct" interpretations.
Fully restored '54 Aero Lark
Rusty '58 Austin Healey 100-Six
Barely running'74 Chevelle Malibu

Carl Eidsness

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2017, 08:55:01 AM »
Unfortunately I don't have much of the old material left, just what was on 2 door panels.  The car had been restored once in the 70s and the rest of the original material was discarded.  The picture you see includes a little strip at the top which was covered by the metal frame around the window till the 70s.  It has a tiny bit more color, enough to venture a guess that the slightly rose colored solid stripe was at one time perhaps burgundy or maroon.  But that is not enough to base a decision on.  That is why I am fervently trying to find someone who has an original car, or some of the original fabric, that still has enough color to give me a better idea.  ANYONE KNOW OF SUCH A PERSON?

Yesterday I received a couple of samples from SMS Auto Fabrics in Oregon.  They had checked the box stating, "We have the exact material(s) that you need, please see our samples".  I so wish that were true, but it is not.  One is probably similar in style and color and could be used in my car, but it is no where close to "exact".  It has only 2 alternating stripes, not 4 like mine, before the pattern repeats.  And theirs repeats every 5/8", not 3/4" like mine.  As for color, I'm guessing it is very similar, maybe even has one of the colors correct.  If I am going to pay $95/yd. I'd like it to be a better match than this.

So I'll keep looking.  Can anyone point me in the right direction?
Thanks,
Carl
1948 Kaiser Special

MarkH

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2017, 10:02:13 AM »
Over the years I got a couple envelopes of "period correct" swatches from SMS including one or 2 "exact" samples, close but not exact.

Only with those latest pristine samples were they able to match exactly, most recent envelope was the usual "period correct" at $95 per, with truly "exact" now at $125 per.

Go figure, and now for the wait. If they actually deliver it'll be worth it.

The photo gallery of "original" cars really should be explored. I've often seen mention of someones new upholstery not being "correct", yet new projects seemingly are unable to even identify and then look for what is correct.

Gordie

• MSN Messenger - gordies1@verizon.net
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Gordie
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2017, 01:50:40 PM »
There has not been much information printed on 1947 and '48 fabrics but the 1948 salesman's data book for Kaiser has several pages devoted to the interior styling with about twelve small pictures.  The 1948 pages have been revised from the 1947 data book pages.  See Jim Betts Kaiser Frazer site for copies of these data books.  In 1949 K-F issued a huge 3 3/4 inch thick red covered upholstery book with large paint and upholstery samples.  There were so many upholstery options used in 1949 that a similar green covered 3 1/2 inch book was offered to the dealers that had even more upholstery samples.  These books are scarce and hard to photograph but they may also be in Jim's website.  The samples in these books list the colors and upholstery samples but also show the paint and upholstery code numbers and also show what exterior colors that they were used with.  I don't know of any other year that upholstery samples were issued by K-F.  At the present time you would not be docked in judging for an attractive interior done in the correct style as the club does not have documentation on upholstery styles used by K-F.  Eventually the club would like to have detailed photos of original interiors from original cars.  There was a large variety of upholstery materials used in K-F products over the years and it is doubtful that they will all be reproduced.
Member #3151 Since June 1974
Vice President K.F.O.C.I. 2013-2017  President 2018-2019
'47 Graham Paige Frazer                                   
'51 Kaiser Deluxe club coupe       
'51 Kaiser customized convertible 
'52 Allstate serial#39
'53 Aero Eagle
'54 Aero Eagle Custom

Carl Eidsness

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2017, 02:13:04 PM »
With this I would like to respond to both Mark and Gordie.

First, regarding the photo gallery.  That was a suggestion I made in another thread on this forum a couple weeks ago.  Depending upon how extensive the gallery were to be set up it could be quite a resource in a number of different ways, anything from casual browsing enjoyment to detailed restoration help, to presentation aids.  Now Gordie has also written, "Eventually the club would like to have detailed photos of original interiors from original cars".  I don't know if that means something has been started already or if others simply had this idea before me.  It would entail a fair amount of time and work to set this up.  I wouldn't mind contributing some time, but unfortunately my computer skills are so elementary I doubt I'd be the right person for the job.  Someone with more computer savvy would be more suitable?  If we have no one within our own ranks to do this it might  be possible hire someone, at least to set it up initially, depending on what funds we might have available in the treasury.  Perhaps I could get a geek to set it up and show me how to maintain it.

As to the 12 small photos Gordie mentioned, I have invested a couple hours trying to find them on Jim's site, but no luck so far.  Sounds like it would be just what I need however when/if I do finally find them.  I'm really starting to question the credibility of SMS, at least for my model/year.

Carl Eidsness
1948 Kaiser Special

Gordie

• MSN Messenger - gordies1@verizon.net
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Gordie
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2017, 06:38:28 PM »
If you have a nice original car with good original upholstery please let us know and lets get lots of color photos of the interior with all door panels, front and back seating area ,carpet or floor mats and headliner showing wind lace and even the trunk area would be great.  I have a 1946 Graham Paige Frazer with very nice original upholstery and that could get us started.  Let us know if you know of nice original cars, not restored ones.  Thanks
Member #3151 Since June 1974
Vice President K.F.O.C.I. 2013-2017  President 2018-2019
'47 Graham Paige Frazer                                   
'51 Kaiser Deluxe club coupe       
'51 Kaiser customized convertible 
'52 Allstate serial#39
'53 Aero Eagle
'54 Aero Eagle Custom

Carl Eidsness

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2017, 08:13:43 AM »
The color question for this fabric has now been solved with the help of Rollie Potts and his recently acquired NOS door panels.  The colors in it are perfect and will be replicated by SMS fabrics.  I need a couple more people to order fabric also to bring the price from $125 down to $95/yd.  Anyone needing fabric for a '47 or '48 Kaiser Special please contact me.

Carl
carleidsness@gmail.com
1948 Kaiser Special

MarkH

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2017, 08:49:54 PM »
The color question for this fabric has now been solved with the help of Rollie Potts and his recently acquired NOS door panels.  The colors in it are perfect and will be replicated by SMS fabrics.  I need a couple more people to order fabric also to bring the price from $125 down to $95/yd.  Anyone needing fabric for a '47 or '48 Kaiser Special please contact me.

Carl
carleidsness@gmail.com

Congrats on the 2 of you for solving this!

Just a heads up though, be prepared for a longer wait than the timeline estimate SMS has given and you'll be happier in the long run. My order to duplicate fabric went in 4-14 with a 6 week to delivery estimate. I doubt they're anywhere close to calling me and that's pretty much what I expected all along. 

Carl Eidsness

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2017, 07:17:48 PM »
He originally told me "a couple of months".  I said a couple would be o.k., even up till Feb. when my Canadian restorer takes my seats to AZ where he has upholstery and chrome work done during Feb. & March, but if it couldn't be done by then it would be too late.  Doug assured me he would have it finished before then.  I've heard bad stories, but also read a number of good review.  Guess I can only hope he will come through for me.  Did you have to pay much in advance Mark?

Carl
1948 Kaiser Special

MarkH

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2017, 09:54:13 PM »
Finding stories of protracted delivery times seems to be common, as well as eventually happy customers. I've got other work to do and just figure it'll happen when it happens.

I paid up front for the 5yd minimum to get my striped pattern duplicated, needed 2, was going to buy some extra anyway but I figure an additional 2yds wasn't a bad premium out of the whole interior to get the right pattern.

Posted it as available at the time, got zero responses. I don't think it was a common pattern.