Author Topic: Bumper guard placement  (Read 1813 times)

porsche1914

• View Profile
    • Email
Bumper guard placement
« on: March 01, 2010, 11:04:54 AM »
I have viewed many pictures of Henry Js on the internet and see the placement of the bumper guards both front and rear in different  positions. What is the correct placement? Many thanks to any help you can give.
Don Holt
1951 Henry J Deluxe

Fid

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Bumper guard placement
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2010, 12:29:12 PM »
Originally they were installed in the "inner" positions on the front and the "outer" positions on the rear. Since the four cylinder Js did not have them, restorers often liked to add them and sometimes put them in the other positions. I've seen restorers do them alternately too and one even told me he put the rear ones in the inner holes because "they'd provide more protection" in those postions.  In my opinion, those cheap little guards would likely provide no protection in a collision. There was also a full page spread advertisement for the Henry J in either Life or Sat Evening Post which had a picture (hand rendered) of a green '51 Henry J where the front guards appear in the outer positions.  Since it's an artist rendering, and the other holes (with the bumper bolts) aren't even included in the drawing, I would say the artist was in error but that ad may have confused some restorers / owners too.
Based on actual photos (not artist renderings such as the brochures and some sales/advertising literature) in KF Dealer News and the shop manual, I would conclude that, yes, the front ones should be installed in the inner holes and rear ones in the outer holes in order to be truly authentic. 
« Last Edit: March 01, 2010, 12:35:51 PM by Fid »
1953 Henry J Corsair Deluxe
Edgar Kaiser's custom 1951 Henry J
1951 Kaiser Special
1952 Allstate Deluxe

Need your classic car radio repaired? I repair vacuum tube radios

AZ_HJ

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2010, 07:53:37 PM »
I agree with Fid's statement in regards to location of the bumper guards.

Mark
1948 Willy CJ2A Jeep
1952 Henry J Vagabond Deluxe
1953 Kaiser Traveler Deluxe

Gordie

• MSN Messenger - gordies1@verizon.net
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Gordie
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2010, 08:47:44 PM »
According to a dozen factory photos that I viewed Fid is correct.  The rears are spaced out more almost to the tail lights.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2010, 05:31:39 PM by gordie »
Member #3151 Since June 1974
Vice President K.F.O.C.I. 2013-2017  President 2018-2019
'47 Graham Paige Frazer                                   
'51 Kaiser Deluxe club coupe       
'51 Kaiser customized convertible 
'52 Allstate serial#39
'53 Aero Eagle
'54 Aero Eagle Custom