Author Topic: ROPE SEALS GOOD SOURCE OF QUALITY PRODUCTS  (Read 568 times)

Terry T

• EX--Editor Darrin Newsletter/Registry
    • View Profile
    • Email
ROPE SEALS GOOD SOURCE OF QUALITY PRODUCTS
« on: June 06, 2018, 05:33:16 AM »
any good experiences?

MarkH

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: ROPE SEALS GOOD SOURCE OF QUALITY PRODUCTS
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2018, 07:41:35 AM »
Well, I had a not so good experience with Best Gaskets Graph-Tite version of their generic one size fits all rope seal. Started leaking immediately, looked like squished putty at tear down. To be fair, it could've been installer error.

I read on other forums that Fel-Pro's non asbestos version was lousy and to avoid it if you run across it. NOS asbestos being best if you can find it.

For my second go, I ordered a seal from Brazil made by Sabo, a big international gasket company, hoping for better tech for these engines that were used in more vehicles for many more years in SA than here. The machinist & a mechanic with rope experience both liked the Sabo seal better than Best's, but I won't have a start up report for another week or two.

I recently ran across what appears to be NOS Willys 4cyl asbestos rope on a Jeep site. It's a different part # than the one for my engine, but it does give a length of 4 1/2", which seems plenty long enough to trim for my engine.  https://www.willysjeepparts.com/Crankshafts.htm     

One other point of interest, the trim knife included with the Best rope would not cut the Sabo material, which was very tough.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2018, 07:43:51 AM by MarkH »
Fully restored '54 Aero Lark
Rusty '58 Austin Healey 100-Six
Barely running'74 Chevelle Malibu