Author Topic: 1948 kaiser  (Read 1412 times)

bustidwing

1948 kaiser
« on: August 27, 2018, 04:55:53 PM »
Trying to find where a fuel sending unit can be found for a 1947/1948 Kaiser? rebuilt original or even an aftermarket or otherwise compatible unit would be acceptable...getting tired of counting miles  lol

kfnut

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: 1948 kaiser
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2018, 06:28:13 AM »
I have seen and bought replacement units from KF venders at KF meets , so they are out there . The right person has not seen your need yet . There is a Facebook page for the club that you could try posting your request .

custom

• View Profile
    • Email
'48 Kaiser Custom
'49 Kaiser Vagabond

Jerry Wilbeck

• View Profile
    • Email
1948 kaiser fuel sending unit
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2018, 08:05:42 AM »
Hello,
The enclosed files show the internal mechanism of your sending unit and some other system info.
I took mine apart and cleaned it and it worked again.  You can pry the top off to get to the internal mechanism, clean the contacts, etc.  Also, check the bulb to see it is not leaking and full of fuel.  If so, you can probably buy one of those or have it evacuated and soldered.  A cork float may also be substituted if you can't find one made of brass.  The King-Seeley writeup says they can't be repaired, but I think they were wrong.  Keep searching and send me an email if you wish more info.
Jerry

joefrazer

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2018, 02:18:10 PM »
I sent mine to Tristar Radiator in NY. They specialize in fuel tank sending unit restoration. When it came back it looked like new and it works.

http://tristarrradiator.com

And, here's what your unit looks like.

MarkH

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2018, 04:49:16 PM »
I also sent my Aero sender to Tri Star. They came in higher than quoted and, (me being somewhat OCD) I think they somewhat overstated the depth of their restoration abilities on my particular sender.
Having said that, it's in the car and if it works...…... I'm good.

If you're inclined to tinker, do what Jerry recommended first. You can still send it in if you don't break it.
Fully restored '54 Aero Lark
Rusty '58 Austin Healey 100-Six
Barely running'74 Chevelle Malibu