Author Topic: Making a 1954 Traveler  (Read 778 times)

j762538

• View Profile
    • Email
Making a 1954 Traveler
« on: June 14, 2019, 11:35:51 AM »
So I got this 1954 4 door Early Special with a 327, Nova front end, Chevelle rear, power steering, power brakes, tilt steering wheel, cruise control and it is a nice driver but I love my 51 Traveler. I started thinking of modifying the 54 to be a Traveler. I would need a 51-53 hatch and tailgate which I am sure are out there somewhere, anyone got one? What do you think or know would need to be changed to make this work?
51 Kaiser Deluxe Traveler 2 door
54 Kaiser Early Special 4 door

kaiserfrazerlibrary

• KFOCI Historian
    • AOL Instant Messenger - none
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - none
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Making a 1954 Traveler
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2019, 06:49:29 PM »
You would need a lot more than a hatch and tailgate.  You need both parts of each hinge assembly and will have to cut a significant body shell support (divider metal between trunk and interior along cutting up thge package shelf behind the rear seat).  Plus you need a complete rear seat (both parts) plus mounting brackets, hardware and other items.  If you have the facilities to do all this great! 

By the way going with the Early Special route., the factory beat you to it...look at the pictures of a factory conversion of the company's prototype 1953 Kaiser Manhattan Traveler. It was trimmed in leather and had a supercharger installed.  I've included the firewall body tag to verifiy it is a K5325 with body serial number 1001.

pjkaiser

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2019, 09:58:54 PM »
Just the logistics would make it nearly impossible.   I would suggest starting with a 1953 Traveler and making it a 1954, they are basically the same body shell.   Just change the dash and two fenders, rear tailight assemblies , add wide molding and a supercharger.
54 Darrin # 81
53 Kaiser Traveler Deluxe
51 Custom Henry J (Concept Car?)

G.B. (All Vinyl Dragon)

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2019, 10:02:38 PM »
Trim is Special Order 888 ?
Research on All Vinyl Dragons & Dragon List.
G.B. Bonham LM  K.F.O.C. Club.
Also: Vintage Electronics, TV, Stereo, Radio, & Broadcasting.
Looking for Kaye Halbert TV, 27 inch screen mid 50's
made in Culver City, Calif.