Author Topic: Wire wheels  (Read 919 times)

Orphanauto

• View Profile
    • www.orphanauto.webs.com
    • Email
Wire wheels
« on: July 10, 2019, 05:31:14 PM »
I’m curious about the wire wheels I’ve seen on the 53 Dragons. 1. Was the wheels offered before on any previous model ( 51 Dragon? ) 2. Were these an option ? 3. Were they an option on the other models that year as well such as a Manhattan? 4. Are they the same on Darrins? 5.  Did they continue to be an option until the end in 1955? 6. Are these available now as reproductions? I’m mostly croon the history, and believe they looked great. Thanks In advance.
1953 Kaiser Manhattan 4-door

joefrazer

• View Profile
Re: Wire wheels
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2019, 06:17:15 PM »
The 53 Dragon saw the first use of wire wheels. They were made by Motor Wheel and were available as an option on the Dragon and I believe later as an option on the 54 and 55 Manhattans. The units used lip lace spokes, where the spoke all the way to the edge of the rim.

Gordie

• MSN Messenger - gordies1@verizon.net
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Gordie
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2019, 10:32:47 PM »
Wire wheels were almost an unofficial option.  They do not appear in any literature including the Dragon folder, General Letters to the dealers, accessory price lists or parts books.  They must have been publicized somewhere as they were certainly offered on the cars as many had them.  They seem to be the same as those offered by Chrysler Corp. for Dodges and Plymouth's other than the knock off style center cap that the Chrysler products used.  They were an expensive option so not many were sold and they were not standard equipment on the Dragons as the brochure shows them with the standard wheel covers and no mention of wire wheels being available.  If purchased through the dealer they could have been placed on any full size Kaiser.  Wire wheel covers were another seldom seen option available for any full size Kaiser car starting in 1952.
Member #3151 Since June 1974
Vice President K.F.O.C.I. 2013-2017  President 2018-2019
'47 Graham Paige Frazer                                   
'51 Kaiser Deluxe club coupe       
'51 Kaiser customized convertible 
'52 Allstate serial#39
'53 Aero Eagle
'54 Aero Eagle Custom

G.B. (All Vinyl Dragon)

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2019, 10:56:50 PM »
I have Chrysler on My Dragon & have a extra set of Kelsey Hayes. If I remember the Judges saying both would Pass in Show.

Gordie, Our Original Dragon had Spoke Hubcaps with a Ionized Gold Spinner. It come from Dealer in LA Area. It also had Original Owners Initials in Gold on both Front Doors.
Research on All Vinyl Dragons & Dragon List.
G.B. Bonham LM  K.F.O.C. Club.
Also: Vintage Electronics, TV, Stereo, Radio, & Broadcasting.
Looking for Kaye Halbert TV, 27 inch screen mid 50's
made in Culver City, Calif.

Gordie

• MSN Messenger - gordies1@verizon.net
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Gordie
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2019, 11:44:08 PM »
The illustration of the Kaiser wire wheel hubcap is in black and white with a simulated knock off hub and it looks like a real wire wheel but they were made by an outside supplier and were available at accessory stores as well as through Kaiser-Frazer.  There were many mail order accessory stores back then like J C Whitney, Newhouse and even Pep Boys who had a large selection of aftermarket accessories to customize your car in many ways.  I used to get a thick J C Whitney catalog in the mail every month for years with new items to tempt everyone.  The popular flipper hubcaps were a copy of what the 1933 Cadillac offered as standard equipment and they sold very well even into the 1960's.  The gold plated initials were a popular accessory that many dealers offered to gain extra profit on the new car sale.  Gas tank filler lids were another accessory that you see on many Kaisers and Frazer's but they were never an authorized  K-F accessory.
Member #3151 Since June 1974
Vice President K.F.O.C.I. 2013-2017  President 2018-2019
'47 Graham Paige Frazer                                   
'51 Kaiser Deluxe club coupe       
'51 Kaiser customized convertible 
'52 Allstate serial#39
'53 Aero Eagle
'54 Aero Eagle Custom