Author Topic: Questions about Darrin judging  (Read 1003 times)

Gordie

• MSN Messenger - gordies1@verizon.net
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Gordie
    • View Profile
    • Email
Questions about Darrin judging
« on: September 20, 2019, 12:49:51 PM »
There has been some controversy about which way the outside door handles point on the Darrin's.  Most factory photos show them pointing forward.  Three photos from the collection of John Conde show them pointing back but it is uncertain that the photos are from the factory.  Most sales folders show them pointing forward however one from the Los Angeles Division shows the handle in the back position.  What will be correct for judging? Forward, back or either?  The answer needs to be added to our Darrin Judging Guidelines. Also Henry J's and Darrin gas caps have the same part number.  Henry J gas caps were originally painted body color.  Shouldn't the Darrins be the same?  Gas caps are easily lost and an available chrome plated replacement has always been available but that does not make it a correct replacement for either the Henry J or the Darrin's.  What should we have in our Judging Guidelines about these questions?
Member #3151 Since June 1974
Vice President K.F.O.C.I. 2013-2017  President 2018-2019
'47 Graham Paige Frazer                                   
'51 Kaiser Deluxe club coupe       
'51 Kaiser customized convertible 
'52 Allstate serial#39
'53 Aero Eagle
'54 Aero Eagle Custom

joefrazer

• View Profile
Re: Questions about Darrin judging
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2019, 01:34:03 PM »
My two cents:

Door handles can point either way. Russ Spaulding once told me that the handles were pointing forward on the cars he photographed and used in his work. I believe the move to pointing them backward happened after owners complained of the handles hitting the rear of the front fender when the doors were pushed hard when opening. At least that's the explanation I got when I asked.

So, if that's true, there should be some cars with forward facing handles, and some with handles that face to the rear. Since the line in the sand appears to be unclear as to when the change occurred, (and I'm open to correction), pointing either way should be acceptable.

Gas caps should be painted body color.

darrin145

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2019, 04:07:35 PM »
the handles on 145 point forward...I consider the pivot point of the handle as the "thumb button" on a normal handle...when they point to the rear they overlap the 1/4 panel a bit and just don't look proper to me...gas caps are body color.

njpatera

• MSN Messenger - pateraclass@msn.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2019, 12:06:00 PM »
Mine is a later Darrin #388...early pics show the pivot point toward the front of the car and are still that way. They have never been removed.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2019, 12:08:36 PM by njpatera »
Regards,
Noah

'54 Darrin
'55 Victoria
'56 Victoria
-'59 Galaxie/Fairlane Convert.
'61 Falcon 2dr wagon
-'62 Galaxie 500XL Convertible

Member #5954
The Nifty Fifties NE Ohio
Drummer: Moving in Stereo, Cleveland’s Tribute to The CARS

Terry T

• EX--Editor Darrin Newsletter/Registry
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2019, 08:00:25 PM »
There has been some controversy about which way the outside door handles point on the Darrin's.  Most factory photos show them pointing forward.  Three photos from the collection of John Conde show them pointing back but it is uncertain that the photos are from the factory.  Most sales folders show them pointing forward however one from the Los Angeles Division shows the handle in the back position.  What will be correct for judging? Forward, back or either?  The answer needs to be added to our Darrin Judging Guidelines. Also Henry J's and Darrin gas caps have the same part number.  Henry J gas caps were originally painted body color.  Shouldn't the Darrins be the same?  Gas caps are easily lost and an available chrome plated replacement has always been available but that does not make it a correct replacement for either the Henry J or the Darrin's.  What should we have in our Judging Guidelines about these questions?

was this not put to rest via the Judging Standards that Char published, but were not being  used?