Author Topic: What ever happened to willow cottage?  (Read 2046 times)

thej63

• View Profile
    • Email
What ever happened to willow cottage?
« on: October 16, 2019, 04:04:54 PM »
The whole idea of willow cottage has always fascinated me and it's disappointing that there don't seem to be more photos and video out there of the building (both inside and out) than there is.

I can't remember where I found the original address of the cottage (for the life of me I can't find it now) but of course that spot is just an empty lot so I figured the building was long gone....until recently. I stumbled across a photo posted by the Ypsilanti Historical Society and in their caption they mention that "The building currently sits where it was later relocated, at 116 Harris Road." I've tried looking up that address but again come up with nothing. There is both a north and south Harris rd in Ypsilanti (which is where I assume the building would be) but north has all commercial buildings and the south is large grassy lots with a couple buildings but nothing that look like they could have been the cottage.

Has anyone from the club researched this building further? Does it still exist or did it meet its demise only after being moved? Do we know of any more modern photos of it since?

Lastly...I think it would be awesome if the original blueprints for the building exist and could be digitized for the club archives. Quite honestly depending on the layout it would be neat to see the building re-created if even as a member's personal residence. Has anyone looked into trying to find the original blueprints for the property? I would assume that the original address would be needed and most likely an in person visit made to the local Ypsilanti municipality as the documents would be public record but most likely stowed away in a box somewhere.

Are there any members up in that area that would be up to the task if it hasn't been done already?

1951 Kaiser Deluxe Golden Dragon - Arena Yellow (087)
AACA First JR - 2018

G.B. (All Vinyl Dragon)

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: What ever happened to willow cottage?
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2019, 05:53:31 PM »
Lotta Pictures in Front of Willow Cottage. They have a Black & White Picture of a 1953 All Vinyl Dragon. I always figure the First # 100 Built on Dragon List. They sent Dragons to same place they Did Darrin interior.

We had Club Members that watched their Vehicle starting with the Fram - Til Finished Product on the Assembly Line at Willow Run .
Research on All Vinyl Dragons & Dragon List.
G.B. Bonham LM  K.F.O.C. Club.
Also: Vintage Electronics, TV, Stereo, Radio, & Broadcasting.
Looking for Kaye Halbert TV, 27 inch screen mid 50's
made in Culver City, Calif.

kaiserfrazerlibrary

• KFOCI Historian
    • AOL Instant Messenger - none
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - none
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2019, 08:04:16 AM »
Willow Cottage was purchased by an individual and moved to a location in Ypsilanti where it was renovated and turned into a regular home. 

This former mess hall (from the B-24 production days) was also the Kaiser-Frazer Visitor Center.  Plant tours stasrted there and cars were delivered there to retail purchases specifying factory delivery.  Tours ended in 1951 for security purposes when K-F got the C-119 plane contract but cars were still delivered there to retail customers.  Ken Merecle, former president of the KFOCI (deceased many years ago) was one of the Customer Contact Men who handled the delivery of cars to customners. 

There are some pictures below

joefrazer

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2019, 08:59:27 AM »
I plan to be in the Ypsi area in a few weeks. I have a different address for the house and will do some recon. I’ll post what I find.

joefrazer

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2019, 01:34:38 PM »
After doing some research and making a phone call, I've come to find that the Harris road address is...or should I say...was correct. The house was torn down in 2010. The last owner/occupant of the home passed away in 1999 and the house was sold not long after that. The church next door used it as rental space until it was demolished. Today, all that's left is the acre of land Willow Cottage once sat on.

G.B. (All Vinyl Dragon)

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2019, 02:55:58 PM »
Sad ...
Research on All Vinyl Dragons & Dragon List.
G.B. Bonham LM  K.F.O.C. Club.
Also: Vintage Electronics, TV, Stereo, Radio, & Broadcasting.
Looking for Kaye Halbert TV, 27 inch screen mid 50's
made in Culver City, Calif.

kaiserfrazerlibrary

• KFOCI Historian
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2019, 06:39:27 PM »
At least we have the pictures, some history recorded and it's fondly remembered.

thej63

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2019, 04:53:19 PM »
After doing some research and making a phone call, I've come to find that the Harris road address is...or should I say...was correct. The house was torn down in 2010. The last owner/occupant of the home passed away in 1999 and the house was sold not long after that. The church next door used it as rental space until it was demolished. Today, all that's left is the acre of land Willow Cottage once sat on.

That's a shame  :'(

Saved only to be torn down later. I'd still be curious to see if there are existing original blueprints in existence for the building. Though being a mess hall originally would make it a government property so I wonder if that would add any additional level of complexity in trying to find the original blueprints.

1951 Kaiser Deluxe Golden Dragon - Arena Yellow (087)
AACA First JR - 2018

kaiserfrazerlibrary

• KFOCI Historian
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2019, 07:16:13 PM »
In many (but not all) cities, building contractors were required to submit a file copy of the blueprints as part of the building permit application process.  You might want to try the Wateshaw County MI clerks office or the Ypsilanty MI city clerk's office to see who issued the permit for the renovation of the mess hall into willow cottage (original priunts marked up to show the renovation).  This would include their layout for the new basement that included changing rooms, showers and other get ready areas.