Author Topic: 48 Kaiser Special at Copart  (Read 1824 times)

KWZ

• View Profile
    • Email
48 Kaiser Special at Copart
« on: December 20, 2019, 10:23:33 PM »
'48 Kaiser Special
'49 Kaiser Virginian
'51 Frazer Manhattan convertible

kaiserfrazerlibrary

• KFOCI Historian
    • AOL Instant Messenger - none
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - none
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: 48 Kaiser Special at Copart
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2019, 11:38:58 AM »
The original color of the car (Paint code 281 on the firewall data plate) is Sportsman Beige.  This is a re-paint

Kory Fox

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2019, 10:39:12 PM »
Has anyone here ever bought or at least bid on a car from this website or one like it? I have never bid or bought anything from any auction site. If this car is what it appears it could really go a long way to getting my car finally done and back on the road. I'd have to get for the right price but it sure would help if the chrome is as good as it appears. Looks like the seats are in decent shape too. Has anyone ever used one of these inspection services?

kaiserfrazerlibrary

• KFOCI Historian
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2019, 01:20:42 AM »
The problem is INSPECTION.  Pictures alone are not enough as they only show what the seller wants you to see and get interested in.  No pictures of the engine compartment...is there an engine in it?  What do they mean by "good shape?  Unless you know someone who you trust and can look at the car and crawl through it for you, it's a toss-up as to what you get.

Gordie

• MSN Messenger - gordies1@verizon.net
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Gordie
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2019, 01:48:12 AM »
If you can not inspect the car it is difficult to put a price on it but figure what the individual parts would be worth to you and don't go much over that.  The ad did say that it starts and runs.  These auctions get cars from many sources and it could be an estate sale and figure that the car has probably been sitting for some time but it appears that it has enjoyed inside storage.  I have bought and sold over 10,000 cars in my lifetime as an auto dealer and where the car comes from is irrelevant.  Bid up to what it is worth to you and hope that no one wants it.  I don't know where you live but also figure out how you are going to get it home.  Copart is a nation wide vehicle disposal company and they have a good reputation but it is up to you to determine its value to you.  They are merely offering it for sale with a good title or bill of sale.
Member #3151 Since June 1974
Vice President K.F.O.C.I. 2013-2017  President 2018-2019
'47 Graham Paige Frazer                                   
'51 Kaiser Deluxe club coupe       
'51 Kaiser customized convertible 
'52 Allstate serial#39
'53 Aero Eagle
'54 Aero Eagle Custom

kfnut

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2019, 07:59:11 AM »
IT has a minimum bid listed of $6500.00 . Is that like a reserve price ?

Kory Fox

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2019, 08:34:00 AM »
Library-so are the inspection services not worth it? It said they could provide 2 videos. I was thinking about doing that to get a better idea of the condition of the chrome and other things that may help me. I'm about 8 hours away so I could go pick it up if I won but too far to go inspect it myself.

Kfnut-It looked to me like the $6,500 was a buy it now price. I didn't think that was a reserve or minimum but I could be wrong.

joefrazer

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2019, 01:45:20 PM »
The minimum bid is the reserve price - $6500. The car is on consignment...Copart doesn't own it, they're just running it thru their auction process.

kaiserfrazerlibrary

• KFOCI Historian
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2019, 02:59:40 PM »
Inspection services can be worth it depending on their level of expertise when it comes to the  off-brand makes like Nash and Kaiser-Frazer or Willys-Overland.  It was worth the money for Barbara & I to have someone well versed in our types of cars to check out a potential purchase after we moved to the Seattle/Tacoma WA area.   

Kory Fox

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2019, 05:16:37 PM »
Ok. So every piece of chrome on my car and the entire interior needs redone on my car. If the chrome and seats on this car are as good as they appear, am I wrong in thinking I'd pay more than $6,500 to have all my chrome redone plus reupholstering the seats? I could probably also use the radiator and gas tank. My radiator needs recored and gas tank needs flushed and sealed. I could also use all the glass.

joefrazer

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2019, 07:02:34 PM »
The interior in the Copart car is incorrect. You would be much further ahead to have your chrome redone and interior reupholstered with the correct material.

Kory Fox

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2019, 07:24:23 PM »
Well, I'm not trying to make the car a 100 pt. Show winner. Just trying to get it done nicely to drive and enjoy with my son and family. The correct material will cost me in the neighborhood of $1,000, then it has to be sewn together and installed. I would imagine the chrome would be several thousand dollars. So I was thinking this way I could get it done for less money finally.

Kory Fox

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2019, 11:43:30 AM »
Let me ask you guys that have restored these cars. If I had to get all the chrome done, buy the upholstery material and have someone do the seats and door cards, approximately how much would that cost?