Author Topic: Tune up for the 226...  (Read 1171 times)

konrad

• View Profile
    • Email
Tune up for the 226...
« on: April 07, 2020, 06:31:19 PM »
So exactly what parts do I need for a proper tune up on my 51?  Point and plugs for sure, but what else?

On our drive today, one of the things I noticed was that when stopped at a light or stop sign, when beginning to accelerate after the stop the engine wanted to die until I gave it a bit more gas.  It actually did die once (only about 2 blocks from home, so I knew it was nothing to do with vapor lock) and I'm guessing this car has not really been driven much in the last, maybe dozen years or so.  It ran well when up to speed, but did sound a little bit rough, so I think a good tune up is in order...
51 Kaiser Deluxe

rrdcorvair

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Tune up for the 226...
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2020, 12:24:34 AM »
Marvel mystery oil in the gas tank and some in the oil (read the bottle) is a good start, and some carb cleaner down the carb while running is good too.  Plugs, points, rotor, cap, condenser, plug wires, check timing.  What's the age of the fuel pump?  Are you running modern gas, old style fuel pumps don't like it.  An electric fuel pump installed back near the rear axle, working on a on-off switch up in the drivers area, is also helpful.  With the tune-up a check on the timing and carb setting is good, the car may be starving for gas on take-off.

kaiserfrazerlibrary

• KFOCI Historian
    • AOL Instant Messenger - none
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - none
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2020, 01:10:12 AM »
If you have an actual NOS fuel pump or an "older restoration" NORS fuel pump, you may be dealing with rubber seals and other materials that will deteriorate over time thanks to today's gas formulas.  If you are replacing the fuel pump, make sure neophrene seals and components are used in the new pump or  you will continue to have a problem as time goes by. 

The suggestion about installing a 6-volt electric pump is a good one.  Dale Hammon worked out the particulars (pump to use, where to install it in the rear axle and even where to put an off/on toggle switch in areas eash to reach but not visible for judging.  The first reliable test car to get this was my 1951 Kaiser Special Business Coupe around 1990.  If the engine started to hesitate I switched on the electric pump and could keep going with no problems unless the butterfly valve in the manifold's heat riser unit froze in the open position, throwing hot air directly up into the carburetor.

Dale is a member of the KFOCI and his info can be found in the Membership Director issue of the QUARTERLY magazine's summer issue. 

konrad

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2020, 01:37:30 AM »
Hmmm...okay, gonna try to take these concerns in order...

Firstly, thanks for the run down on tune up components Bob...just what I was looking for...and planning on adding the electric pump down the way, for vapor lock issues if nothing else.

Next up, what I know of the history of this car:

It used to belong to a club member from MI named Dwayne Sell and was likely restored in the early 2000's.  Dwayne took this car and a convertible to the 2004 Auburn, IN show (Larry Barker was kind enough to send me an old quarterly with pics from that show, one of which shows my car.  I have no idea how well it was kept up mechanically after its restoration, nor what type of fuel it was fed.  I only know it was obviously kept garaged and safe from the elements during that time.  My inference is that Dwayne passed on, and via an estate sale, perhaps changing hands more than once, it ended up where I found it at Country Classic Cars in Staunton, IL.  All they could tell me was that it was last titled in MI.

When I took it to gas up, it was to a station that has non-ethanol fuel, which is the only type I plan to use, but given the tank was nearly full, I've no idea what sort was filling the majority of its 17 gal capacity.  Thinking now I should just siphon it mostly off to use in our other cars, then take it for a new fill up, adding both an Octane Boost and Sta-bil to it.

And, since I don't know what sort of fuel was used in it over the years, nor what sort of mechanical maintenance was done, I may be in for a fuel pump rebuild as well, along with some carb adjustment.

Any "one size fits all" recommendations where I can get all the requisite parts for the tune up (without breaking the bank, of course) or am I better off sourcing them individually?

Edited to add...does this look correct for all but plugs and wires:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/47-48-49-50-51-Kaiser-6-Cylinder-Tune-Up-Parts/291863619317?fits=Year%3A1951%7CMake%3AKaiser&hash=item43f46d66f5:g:Ny0AAOSwSVNcBte1

And what am I looking for in plugs?  I see a number of ebay offerings that say they are appropriate, but of course they often lie on ebay.  :)
« Last Edit: April 08, 2020, 02:21:35 AM by konrad »
51 Kaiser Deluxe

joefrazer

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2020, 06:49:25 AM »
NAPA has all of the tuneup stuff you will need. The eBay listing is for Autolite equipped early series (47-50) cars. Your car should have Delco electrics.
Cap - RR95
Rotor - RR83
Points - CS777a
Condensor - RR174
Spark Plugs - Champion J8 or J8C; Autolite A5 or A7 (both old numbers, find them on eBay)

Wires can be sourced from a KF club vendor who advertises occasionally in the club's newsletter. Or, a less expensive option (but not visually correct) would be to use Autozone wire set D8001273.

I wouldn't add anything to the oil, just use it as it comes from the container. I know oil brands and viscosity have been discussed elsewhere on this forum so follow that guidance.

I knew Duane and I'm going to guess that the last time your car saw any real use was when it made the trip to Auburn in 2004. In his later years he preferred to drive his modern car to meets. So, the car just needs driven and the more it does I'm sure the better it will run. If you do decide to have the carburetor rebuilt, Benchwick Carburetor - 33o.782.3767 - in Youngstown, Ohio does an excellent job. He's done three for me and none needed anything more than installed to work as intended. Fuel pumps can be rebuilt using modern materials by the folks at then-now-auto.com in Massachusetts. Again, quality work at an affordable price.

konrad

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2020, 09:29:09 AM »
Thank you Joe...that's just the info I was looking for!

I'm going to guess this car wasn't even driven much in 2004.  Given Duane brought 2 cars to the event, likely at least one of them was trailer'd there...and which would you drive if you had the choice of a sedan or a convertible?  :)
51 Kaiser Deluxe

konrad

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2020, 10:01:44 AM »
Hmmm...found all the NAPA parts from their webpage, and the plugs on ebay, but can't seem to locate the autozone wire set...not listed on their website and ebay has no listing for that part number either...

Any other replacement wire sets that would work?

Thanks again guys...you are all awesome!
51 Kaiser Deluxe

rrdcorvair

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2020, 02:12:44 PM »
Hi, don't bother with ebay for spark plugs.  The J8's are hard to find (these are more for judging than running). Champion J 8 c's are common as they're used in loads of lawn mowers and such.  Most auto parts stores have them, I've bought them at Tractor Supply and you'd probably find them at Home Depot (try either one of those stores web sites).  The vendor Joe mentions ( Jim Lape) is Carl Hering and he has them for $27 plus shipping, probably about $8.  He may still be in Florida (heads there for Winter) so his ph number may not work (PH 315-253-8151) but his email is carlhering1@gmail.com   He's a great guy to deal with, we've known him for years.  Are you a KFOCI member yet, I don't remember.  You can mention our names for pointing you in his direction if you want, Char's Hubby ( Bob Dayton) and Charlotte Dayton.  The quality of Carls plug wires are better than the last ones I bought as universals from NAPA, the brass plug end was weakly made and snapped easily off.  Jim beat me to the ebay listing info - when I saw 48/49 in the listing , that meant Autolite, and most likely your car would be Delco.  Of course, true to KF there were some 51 Kaisers with Autolite made, just to keep the parts counter guys on their toes.

konrad

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2020, 01:25:42 AM »
Many thanks Bob!  Yes, I am a club member, and I just sent Carl an email.  :)
51 Kaiser Deluxe

Quadromaniac

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2020, 09:15:25 AM »
Most of these tune up parts can be purchased at Rock Auto . com... I just ordered everything but the points yesterday