Author Topic: Need Air Cleaner Info for my '51 Kaiser Deluxe & '52 Kaiser Manhattan  (Read 770 times)

wilhelm

• View Profile
My '52 Kaiser Manhattan has an oil bath air cleaner.  My '51 Kaiser Deluxe has a paper filter that sits on top of the carburetor.  I assume the oil bath cleaner on the '52 is stock and the paper filter was added later on the '51.  To me, the oil bath cleaner is too large & cumbersome and takes up too much room.  I like the simplicity of the paper filter. 

My question:  I prefer the paper filter and want to put one on the '52.  Are there downsides to that idea?  If I were to do that, where can I buy one?  Thank you!
1952 Kaiser Manhattan
1947 Studebaker Champion
1952 Studebaker 2R-5 Pickup
1955 DeSoto Firedome
1955 DeSoto Firedome Sportsman 2-dr ht

kaiserfrazerlibrary

• KFOCI Historian
    • AOL Instant Messenger - none
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - none
    • View Profile
    • Email
Please post pictures of the 1951 air cleaner with the paper filter.  I have never heard of one for a Kaiser.

You are correct that the oil bath air cleaner for a 1952 Kaiser Manhattan is same as on 1951 model year Kaisers.  They also have the same carburetors. 

Downside to the paper one is they may be hard to come by; what is the number on the paper element?  The oil bath cleaner just heeds a wipe out of the old oil and captured crud and putting in new oil.. 

wilhelm

• View Profile
Thanks for your response, KFLibrary.  Attached are 4 photos which may help.  Just to be sure we're talking about the same thing, I call this a paper filter, is that the same term you use?  Or, were you thinking of some other kind of filter.  I searched and searched and could find no number on the filter.  I should have measured it ... I will tomorrow.

What are your thoughts now?  Anyone else have thoughts on this?  Is it a good filter for a '52 Kaiser?  Where can I buy one?

Thanks ...
« Last Edit: June 11, 2020, 03:40:04 PM by wilhelm »
1952 Kaiser Manhattan
1947 Studebaker Champion
1955 DeSoto Firedome

wilhelm

• View Profile
Here are the measurements of my paper filter.  The outside diameter of the metal cover of the paper filter is 4 3/8 inches.  The outside diameter of the paper filter is 3 7/8.  Has anyone used these?  Is there a disadvantage of using one of these filters in my '52 Manhattan?   I like it in my '51 Kaiser and I'm thinking of putting it in my '52 Manhattan.  Where can I buy one?  I looked and looked and couldn't find a number on it anywhere.  Thanks!
1952 Kaiser Manhattan
1947 Studebaker Champion
1955 DeSoto Firedome

kaiserfrazerlibrary

• KFOCI Historian
    • AOL Instant Messenger - none
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - none
    • View Profile
    • Email
The chrome air cleaner is NOT the air cleaner for any K-F product.  It may not be doing an effective job of filtering the air going into the carb.  This is an aftermarket item normally found on, for lack of a better term, hot rods.  For best results, I suggest that you make sure both of your cars have the oil-bath cleaner as shown in the attached photo and follow maintenance instructions for it found in the 1951 Kaiser and Frazer Shop Manual put out by Kaiser-Frazer or service information in the owner's manual for either automobile