Author Topic: Diagnosis needed  (Read 685 times)

DH Comet

• View Profile
    • Email
Diagnosis needed
« on: March 22, 2021, 07:00:08 PM »
Hi all,
I went out to enjoy the beautiful day in my '53 Manhattan and it won't start.  I turn the key and the ammeter needle disappears instantly to the left side of the gauge and the interior lights dim, but no starter at all.  A short?  The battery is good, and the car started fine last week.  Coincidentally this morning I removed the old radio antenna and hooked up a new one, but I can't imagine that causing the starting issue: it's way over on the right side and as far as I can see should have nothing to do with the ignition system.  Any ideas?
Thanks!
DH Comet
'53 Manhattan

Thomasso

• MSN Messenger - walund41@gmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Diagnosis needed
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2021, 10:44:04 PM »
Shorted starter.
- 55 Willys Bermuda - 57 Ford E-CODE Sunliner - 63 Riveria - 97 Chev K10 - 99 Ford Lightening - 04 jag VDP - 1998 Jag XK8. 07 Lincoln - 08 Taurus X. All old like me.

Tevel Jean-Jacques

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2021, 11:19:58 AM »
Starter switch relay might be tired. Try to shunt it with a screw driver and see if the starter is running....

kaiserkid

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2021, 11:38:09 AM »
Do the old fashioned trick, tap on the starter with a small hammer. You may have a dead spot on the armature. Tapping on the starter usually moves the armature just enough to be able to start the car. If that is the case, a rebuild is the next step to the starter.

DH Comet

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2021, 02:43:25 PM »
Last month I installed a new coil, worked great.  This morning after exhausting all other possibilities I thought, "Hmm, I wonder..." and reinstalled the old coil and voila! no short!  Back to NAPA I go!  Thanks for your replies.  The wiring under the dash is really tidy now, too!
DH Comet
'53 Manhattan