Author Topic: Radio Removal  (Read 1141 times)

konrad

• View Profile
    • Email
Radio Removal
« on: July 25, 2020, 08:06:38 AM »
So the radio in my 51 is the 5 button type, as shown in the illustration posted by Jack in this thread:  http://kfclub.com/forum/index.php/topic,12850.0.html

Can anyone give me a rundown on how to easily remove it from the dash?  Looks like removing the ashtray will help in access, but where do I look for the screws that will allow me to pull it out, and how easy is it to disconnect the power/speaker cables?

Many thanks in advance...
51 Kaiser Deluxe

Fid

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Radio Removal
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2020, 10:26:47 AM »
I don't know if this will help or not.
I've repaired dozens of them but strangely enough, I've never removed or installed one in a car.
There are 4 things that need to be disconnected:

The Antenna
Speaker
Main Power cable
Dial light cable

The antenna plugs into the radio on the left side (as you're looking at if from the front) - unplug it from the radio.
The speaker plugs into the radio on the right side (as looking at it from the front) - it's a keyed 3 prong connector. Unplug it.
The Main power cable can be disconnected by removing the fuse.
Dial light power is a thin wire, unfused, which connects to the rheostat on the headlight switch. Disconnect it there.

Keep in mind this is assuming the radio was installed correctly.  Since many of these cars were not originally equipped with a radio, restorers often added them and may not have connected the power and dial light wires to said sources. 
This information does tell you which ones are disconnected at the radio and which ones are elsewhere.   You can always trace them and see where they go.

Hope this helps.
1953 Henry J Corsair Deluxe
Edgar Kaiser's custom 1951 Henry J
1951 Kaiser Special
1952 Allstate Deluxe

Need your classic car radio repaired? I repair vacuum tube radios

konrad

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2020, 01:55:01 AM »
Thanks Fid...that is most helpful!

If anyone has other info on where it's screwed in/attached to the dash...are there any dash parts that need to be removed to get it out, etc., that would be awesome.

Only radio I've ever removed/replaced was in an early 80s GM, and that was relatively straight forward...
51 Kaiser Deluxe

joefrazer

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2020, 07:47:14 AM »
Removing the radio is pretty straightforward. In addition to the items Fid mentioned, you'll need to remove the tuning and volume knobs. There are two bolts that hold the radio in place under the dash, located on both sides of the unit, remove them. The radio should then slide away from you towards the firewall to clear the bezel, then drop down. There's not much room, but it'll fit.

It's much easier to do if you first remove the entire ash tray assembly and well as the heater distribution panel - the piece that sits on the transmission hump. It's held in place with some sheet metal screws.

konrad

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2020, 07:23:34 AM »
Many thanks Joe!

Any tricks on removing the knobs?
« Last Edit: July 27, 2020, 11:51:19 AM by konrad »
51 Kaiser Deluxe

konrad

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2020, 11:34:33 AM »
Anyone?

Any tricks or tips on removing the knobs to remove the radio?  I don't want to damage anything by fumbling about...  :)
51 Kaiser Deluxe

Fid

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2020, 03:25:00 PM »
If it has the original knobs, the chrome ones, they're held on with set screws.  You need an allen wrench to turn them and when they're loose the knobs come right off.
1953 Henry J Corsair Deluxe
Edgar Kaiser's custom 1951 Henry J
1951 Kaiser Special
1952 Allstate Deluxe

Need your classic car radio repaired? I repair vacuum tube radios

konrad

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2020, 07:35:41 AM »
Perfect...many thanks Fid!
51 Kaiser Deluxe

konrad

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2021, 01:23:34 PM »
Another question on this subject...

I have my radio back from being refurbished with contemporary components.  There is a wire that needs to be attached to the headlight switch to apply power for the radio dial light.

Does anyone have a decent pic of how/where this lead is attached to the headlight switch?

My headlight switch has already been bypassed since the rheostat was kaput, i.e. no  light affirmation or declination based on twisting the headlight switch one way or the other...

Where do I hook the radio light wire up to the switch to assure the same function from the radio back panel?
51 Kaiser Deluxe

kaiserfrazerlibrary

• KFOCI Historian
    • AOL Instant Messenger - none
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - none
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2021, 10:12:32 PM »
That sounds like the light for the dial.   If so, it goes on the "cold" terminal of the regular beam light switch.  That way the light will only come on if the headlights are on (presumably it will only light at night.  If you've wired it to the "hot" terminal, the light will always be on and it will drain the battery. 

konrad

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2021, 01:55:01 PM »
Jack, I'm going to infer I can find the delineation of those terminals in either the shop or parts manual?  Hopefully?

No problem searching for and locating them, but sometimes detail is missing in such manuals...
51 Kaiser Deluxe