Author Topic: KF Models?  (Read 2798 times)

Logan

• View Profile
    • Email
KF Models?
« on: December 11, 2021, 05:32:03 PM »
Does anyone know if any plastic models of full-sized Kaisers or Frazers exist? I don't build a lot of models, but I would love to build one if they are out there.

kaiserfrazerlibrary

• KFOCI Historian
    • AOL Instant Messenger - none
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - none
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: KF Models?
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2021, 07:31:17 PM »
I'm a bit confused.  Do you want a scale model kit, or a full-sized (1 inch = 1 inch) thing?  For decades, the standard size kit was 1/25th scale (as were the dealer promotional models given out by new car dealers from the late 1950's into the late 1990's).

The problem may be that nobody knows who owns rights to use of K-F car designs.  I helped Mattel Toys work out the Henry J prior to 2004, which resulted in the Hot Wheels "Jaded" dragster and the recently released Matchbox 1952 Henry J Gasser scale model dragster.  Supposedly a machine shop bought the rights to the Darrin (which was built as a Willys Motors product) from Chrysler Corporation shortly after Chrysler bought AMC (which may have had rights to the Darrin as one of the Willys/Jeep branded vehicles). 

According to Copyright Law, copyrights to vehicles built prior to 1960 expire after 75 years.  In the case of the 1951 Kaiser, for example, should expire the end of 2026.  There is some confusion on the point and nobody wants to take the matter to court to decide if indeed the extentions to the Copyright Act of 1909 (57 year coverage limit) passed by Congress to push coverage (2 extensions) to 75 years were in fact legal or Ex Post Facto and therefore illegal acts. 

I too would like to get 1/25th scale models of Kaiser-Frazer vehicles.

Logan

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2021, 09:26:23 PM »
I meant either 1/24 or 1/25 scale plastic models. Apparently, because of copyright, it sounds like none have ever been released? I have never seen any.

Cool about the Henry J. Hot Wheels. Would not mind getting a hold of one of those. My son had lots of Hot Wheels cars that he loved.

kaiserfrazerlibrary

• KFOCI Historian
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2021, 11:56:43 PM »
At the present time, the only one of the cars I noted in my reply is the Matchbox 1952 Henry J Gasser.  Here's a picture of how it's packed.  Suggested retail is $5.00 but Walmart and other big stores have them normally slightly cheaper.

joefrazer

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2021, 08:51:19 AM »
A 1/25 scale Henry J, in gasser form, was produced and has been reissued by Revell. They're fairly easy to modify to appear stock of you're an accomplished builder.

Kits are usually available on ebay.

Fid

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2021, 01:27:54 PM »
As an avid model builder and KF fan for many years, I have to say I've never seen a 1/25 scale model kit of the 1947-50 KF products.  Closest I've seen were the Toy Founders 1949 Kaiser Convertibles which I believe are a bit larger than 1/25.  I have one that's in rough shape.   There was also a good replica of a '47/'48 Kaiser "Remote Control Car" made in the late '40s.  It's a 1/64 scale or so, has no designation as "Kaiser" on it but it clearly is one.  I found one at and antique show in the mid '70s, still in the box with all the parts.  It's red, as most of them you see are, but I also found a green one on ebay a few years ago and it was clearly made that way.  I don't have the box or attachements for that one but it's the only green one I ever saw.  The same company made what they called a "Puzzle Car" which from the front looks a lot like a '47/'48 Frazer - the same red the Kaiser I mentioned is.  Here's some pics the green and red Kaiser are the same.  The red Frazer "Puzzle Car" has case of hemoroids but the front sure looks like a Frazer to me.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2021, 01:37:47 PM by Fid »
1953 Henry J Corsair Deluxe
Edgar Kaiser's custom 1951 Henry J
1951 Kaiser Special
1952 Allstate Deluxe

Need your classic car radio repaired? I repair vacuum tube radios

pnw_oldmags

• Administrator
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
    • CircleKF Website
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2021, 04:45:58 PM »
Jim Betts  LM6945
PNW Traveler Editor
CircleKF Webmaster
https://circlekf.com

Logan

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2021, 08:36:49 PM »
Oh, cool! There were some larges KF models made, albeit in 1/43 scale. Really cool, though. Thanks!

rdgodwin1954@gmail.com

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2021, 04:13:58 PM »
If memory is correct, I somewhat remember having a dealer promo metal '53 Manhattan 1/24 model bank which I thought my Grandfather got when he bought a new '53 Manhattan. Do not see any comments above saying dealers had promo models so probably not correct.

Logan

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2021, 06:06:57 PM »
Would be awersome if that were true, though!

custom

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2021, 07:15:06 AM »
currently on ebay: 
1951 Kaiser Design by Darrin Plaster Styling Model

https://www.ebay.com/itm/303858969052?hash=item46bf67e9dc:g:TcQAAOSwp69gDNh8

1954 1955 Kaiser Manhattan Banthrico 1/25 scale promo model bank KIT

https://www.ebay.com/itm/185155110724?hash=item2b1c1ac744:g:Pm4AAOSw3Jlhdu9B
« Last Edit: December 21, 2021, 07:17:54 AM by custom »
'48 Kaiser Custom
'49 Kaiser Vagabond

rdgodwin1954@gmail.com

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2021, 09:08:51 AM »
The model kit is pretty neat!

kaiserfrazerlibrary

• KFOCI Historian
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2021, 11:20:15 AM »
There was also a man in West Virginia who made slush-cast models of various cars including a Henry J Panel Truck in (or about) 1/25th scale.  Last I heard the man died but nothing about what happened to any inventory, etc.

When I was working in KY, the Engineering Department at the University of Kentucky-Bowling Green offered a deal to various companies in the area (including the company I was Quality Manager at) about prototyping that may be of interest here.  To give students 'hands-on' training, we could take drawings of an item to the department and they would have it scanned with shape and dimensions saved on computer file.  The file would go to another part of the engineering department lab and made into a 3-dimensional polymer scale model.  Cost back c.2006 was $53.00 to cover the cost of materials and the students working on your project got to add 'helped in the development of ________________' to their resume when they graduated.

I never followed up to see what size limitations were for the polymer scale model (so many inches by so many inches, etc) but the finished product was supposed to be as faithful a reproduction as details on the drawings allowed. 

rdgodwin1954@gmail.com

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2021, 02:42:39 PM »
There is a resin cast 1/24 model of a '52-'53 Kaiser Manhattan 4-dr sedan. It was made by Miller Memorobilia in Dublin, VA. I have one assembled as a '52 and painted black.  If I can do it, I'll post a picture of it.

Logan

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: December 27, 2021, 04:45:09 PM »
I would love to see it.