Author Topic: hard start after sitting for a week  (Read 2032 times)

stroker70

• View Profile
    • Email
hard start after sitting for a week
« on: September 06, 2010, 10:37:15 AM »
My 53 has this issue where after days of sitting I will get in, pump the pedal once, hold the pedal quarter throttle then hit the ignition. Its starts then dies. No amount of pumping or cranking will start it after that. I get out, open the hood  prime the carburetor with gas, get in and it starts right up. No problems for the rest of the day. Whats going on? The fuel must be evaporating or something,and the fuel pump must not fill the carburetor quickly enough to get the accelerator pump squirting.

boatingbill

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: hard start after sitting for a week
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2010, 11:49:06 AM »
After a day or so of sitting, do you smell gas if you lift the hood? It sounds like you fuel bowl in the carb is draining. The car should run and the accelerator pump work even without a fuel pump for several minutes due to the residue gas in the fuel bowl in the carb. After a week of sitting, lift the top of the carb up just enough to  see if the fuel bowl is still full. I have seen old carbs get porous and gas seep into the engine or outside of the carb itself.

Fid

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2010, 01:39:24 PM »
Another thing that happens is modern gasoline wreaks havoc on the accellerator pump daiphram. If the diaphram leaks, you'll get he same symptom. The diaphrams are available at NAPA, they're cheap and easy to install.
1953 Henry J Corsair Deluxe
Edgar Kaiser's custom 1951 Henry J
1951 Kaiser Special
1952 Allstate Deluxe

Need your classic car radio repaired? I repair vacuum tube radios

stroker70

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2010, 02:27:41 PM »
I'm inclined to swap out the accelerator pump diaphragm just so I said I did it. Does anyone know a part number from NAPA or wherever? Tag says 999s I think
In the mean time, I will check the fuel bowl in a few days and see whats up.  Is money spent on carburetors considered a fuelish purchase? RRR

Fid

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2010, 06:38:46 PM »
Well your humor is definitely a gas!  Anyway, the Kaiser and the Henry J both use Carter carbs, albiet different ones, but I think the diaphram is the same. Someone please correct me if it isn't.  The NAPA number I have for the YF pump is Echlin 2-4218
1953 Henry J Corsair Deluxe
Edgar Kaiser's custom 1951 Henry J
1951 Kaiser Special
1952 Allstate Deluxe

Need your classic car radio repaired? I repair vacuum tube radios

kaiserfrazerlibrary

• KFOCI Historian
    • AOL Instant Messenger - none
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - none
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2010, 07:08:17 PM »
The carb used in all 1953 Kaiser models was the Carter WGD (not a YF) 999S.  According to Carter Form 4975, The Pump jet and housing assembly is Carter P/N 48-169S, The Pump Oerating Lever and Countershaft Assembly is a #53A-108S and the Pump Arm and Screw Assembly is a 53A-316S

boatingbill

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2010, 10:14:59 PM »
A easy check of the accelerator pump, is to remove the air cleaner and shine a light into the carb throat. Operate the accelerator pump several times to see if you get a strong squirt of gas each time.If you do the pump is worklng, if you do not and the fuel bowl is full of gas, then the accelerator pump gasket is leaking and needs to be replaced.