Author Topic: 54 Manhattan engine paint  (Read 4297 times)

kaiserkid

• View Profile
    • Email
54 Manhattan engine paint
« on: January 01, 2011, 01:08:15 PM »
Where do I get the maroon engine paint for my 54 with supercharger? When I go to the parts store they don't have anything close to maroon.

joefrazer

• View Profile
Re: 54 Manhattan engine paint
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2011, 01:50:01 PM »
I've used Duplicolor's Dark Canyon Red spray paint and it's a real close match. It's available at Ace Hardware and AutoZone stores in the larger truck paint section. It's held up well to the engine's heat, even when sprayed on the intake manifold. Two cans will be plenty for respraying and entire engine.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2011, 08:55:26 PM by joefrazer »

kaiserkid

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2011, 02:22:28 PM »
Thanks. I will look at those places tomorrow. Can't paint today anyhow, ony 10 degrees outside here!

kaiserkid

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2011, 03:31:01 PM »
I looked at the Dupli-color web site and they don't show the Darn Canyon Red paint. Do you have a number on the can? The only red that I can find is Cherry Red.

joefrazer

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2011, 08:56:41 PM »
Dark Canyon Red is their Manufacturer Part # EDSSM288. On the shelf, it's part number T278.

54 Kaiser

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2011, 01:42:22 PM »
Another one you might want to try is POR15 Engine Enamel. Specifically, "MG Maroon". I bought a can of it and the colour is pretty close.

The POR15 products are a bit pricey but you get what you pay for. This one is $22 for a pint can. You CAN thin it and spray it but I used a brush and it levels out very nicely as it dries. If you want to do the job "right", they sell a complete kit for $54.50 that includes solvent, degreaser, "prep & ready", a can of POR15 rust paint for the primer, the colour of your choice for the top coat, brushes, gloves and a face mask. This will - from my own experience - do a "forever" job on your engine.

If you've never tried the POR15 rust paint, I have to say the stuff is unbelievable. It's almost bulletproof when it dries. I suspect it's a single stage epoxy paint that cures with the moisture in the air. I've tried a lot of so-called "Rust Paints" (Tremclad, Rustoleum, etc.) and never found anything that truly stopped metal from rusting until I tried the POR15.

The stuff IS expensive. But I suppose if it protects what you put it on, it's worth it. I've already done the inside of the doors on my Manhattan, and I've done part of the floors on the inside.

Downside (other than price) is that once it dries, it's a very NON porous surface. Meaning, other paint won't stick to it. You have to either apply your desired colour before the POR15 hardens, or, use an etching primer (after light sanding) to get other colours on top. I'm using it on internal areas that are not seen so it doesn't matter.

Another thing, if you use it and get it on your hands, remove it immediately with solvent. (Acetone works best for me.) If you don't get it off while it's wet, you WON'T get it off. It takes about two to three weeks to wear off your hands. (Spoken from experience.) Also, when you put the lid back on the can, put a piece of saran wrap (plastic film) on the opening first, then put the lid on and tap it down with a mallet. If you don't put the film in between the lid and the can, you will not be removing the lid again. Ever.....  (Also spoken from experience.)

Rick

GA Kaiser

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2011, 12:49:12 PM »
Great information!  Thanks for posting.
GA Kaiser
1954 Manhattan

GA Kaiser

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2011, 12:50:29 PM »
Isn't the supercharger supposed to be an orange color?  I've also seen photos of them black, and also maroon like the engine.  What is correct?
GA Kaiser
1954 Manhattan

superk226

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2011, 11:06:06 PM »
The supercharger color is supposed to maroon like the engine.

kaiserkid

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2011, 10:36:05 AM »
After some store time and internet time I have found out that T278 Dark Canyon Red has been discontinued, but they do have a replacement part number. It is BFM0288. This is a 8 oz can and is for 2002 Ford's exact replacement paint. I did purchase 2 cans and the caps do look like the correct color. My price was $6.99 each, I don't know what your price will be, every location is different.

joefrazer

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2011, 05:51:45 PM »
All engine components with the exception of the exhaust manifold, carburetor and all fluid/vacuum lines and the items mentioned below, are engine color. The spacer between the fan blade and pulley on the 54 and 55 cars is natural color (cast).
The starter, generator, oil cap, distributor (but not the adapter base) and fan blade are all a semi gloss black, although everyone today paints them in a gloss to better show the underhood detail. The distributor adapter should be engine color as it was supposedly attached before painting, but I've also seen them natural color. The plate between the distributor and adapter is natural color.
The fuel pump, oil and water temp sending units are not painted.
I have seen original cars with the accelerator linkage in it's natural color and I've seen them painted too. I prefer the natural color but that's just my opinion.
The transmission is painted engine color but the torus inspection cover on cars so equipped is painted black.

kaiserkid

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2011, 11:07:14 PM »
That's a lot of information! Thank you very much. I still have a big question about my dash color. My car is Blue Comet Metallic and the interior is gray boucle vinyl and blue lamar. What is the dash color, body color or a medium or sky blue blue as I have seen in some pictures? I wish I could post pictures but it's not easy to do.