Author Topic: 47 Tail light  (Read 3386 times)

Thomas

• View Profile
    • Email
47 Tail light
« on: January 16, 2011, 05:56:36 PM »
On a 47 Manhattan  What if any is the difference in the tail light glass from left & right? The new ones are the same, as were the old cracked ones, as are the NOS I have seen, but they are sold as left or right? My cracked ones are original as I am the 2nd owner and checked with the first owner. I am so confused???

joefrazer

• View Profile
Re: 47 Tail light
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2011, 06:24:57 PM »
The difference is the positioning of the dots used to magnify the bulb's light. You can use a left on a right, and vice versa, however the dots won't line up to the bulb if used on the "wrong" side.

Thomas

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2011, 07:30:51 PM »
That is what I thought, however I have them on the bench and they line up fine when lit so I can't see any change with any combination of housings and glass. Could be these repos are offset enough to be useable, however I can't find any offset on the lamp housings so guess will finish painting car & install.

kaiserfrazerlibrary

• KFOCI Historian
    • AOL Instant Messenger - none
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - none
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2011, 07:43:23 PM »
The two lights should line up to two bulbs, if the car has directional signals (and all of them should).  One dot is magnifier for the stop light/brake light the other for the turn signals.  1947 Kaisers did not have factory installed directional signals and only 1 dot on their lenses.

Thomas

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2011, 08:14:10 PM »
This is a Frazer with 2 dots. I think this issue will go on the back burner for now, and will look at some other lights/cars or whatever. Thanks

mbflemingkf

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2011, 11:13:28 PM »
Look at the top corner of the lens; one has an "L" and the other has a "R."
KFOCI #4818, Since 1982

Rear view mirror:
1954 Kaiser Manhattan, 4 Door (Now in FL)
1955 Kaiser Manhattan, 2 Door (Now in TX)
1953 Kaiser Manhattan, 4 Door (Now in Australia)
Thousands of parts & literature (All over the world)

Thomas

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2011, 05:26:13 PM »
Correct on the L & R however the difference after a closer look is not the spacing of the dots, but the dot shape on the inside of the lens. They are cast at an angle to correct for the fender shape as it points outward at the light mounting point, the dot angle corrects for this and projects the light straight to the rear of the car. Guess I should have looked a little closer before asking. I had noticed the L & R. Thanks for the comments.