Author Topic: Refinishing a steering wheel  (Read 3460 times)

Weaz

• Specials RULE!
    • View Profile
    • Email
Refinishing a steering wheel
« on: October 12, 2008, 05:25:15 PM »
I grabbed a steering wheel out of a '53 Kaiser yesterday at the junkyard. The horn button is from a different Kaiser.

Sorry for the poor photo. I had to use my blackberry, since my camera was dropped in the Pacific Ocean.

Before I search up instructions on how to refurbish a steering wheel, I was wondering if any of you have done it? What kinds of tricks can you pass on? Specifically what kind of paint should I use when I'm done?

Thanks in advance.
KFOCI #9798

jreeder41

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Refinishing a steering wheel
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2008, 05:51:42 AM »
Restoring a steering wheel can be a tough job. We do two or three a year in our shop. First step is you need to widen out all cracks down to the metal internal ring. I use a wood rasp. Second you need a two-part epoxy (we use PC-7). Mix it up and press in as much as possible. You want to bond to the metal ring and the wheel. Then you sand it down with 80 grit, reapply if necessary.  Finish sand the entire wheel with 180 grit. We then apply 2-3 coats of a good two part fill prime (automotive grade, not aerosol), wet sand with 400 grit, re-prime if necessary. I use base coat/clear coat as the final finish. Keep in mind that the material the steering wheel was made out of is shrinking, and will continue to shrink depending on conditions. You will more than likely see cracks start to form again in a year or so. The only way to permanently fix them is to have them recast ($700-900) 

Weaz

• Specials RULE!
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Refinishing a steering wheel
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2008, 07:43:52 AM »
Thanks.

Most of the cracks you can see in the picture only go through the white outer layer and stop at the black. Only a couple of the cracks go to the core. The wheel is pretty solid. I think it'll make a great winter project.
KFOCI #9798