Author Topic: how to properly torque manifolds  (Read 1545 times)

oldpm

• View Profile
    • Email
how to properly torque manifolds
« on: June 28, 2011, 06:45:47 PM »
Hi All:
I had to remove the manifolds on my 54 Manhattan to be able to get to the valves to adjust the.  Now I can't figure out how to torque the bolts when I put the manifolds back on as I can't get sockets on all the nuts.  Any good ideas?
Thanks,
Barry

dpledger

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: how to properly torque manifolds
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2011, 11:05:07 PM »
I haven't done this for a few years, but I recall using a variety of wrenches. A few nuts can be done directly with a socket wrench and extension. Others are more difficult-one approach is to use a smaller wrench set, such as 3/8 or even a quarter, perhaps having to use the U joint rather than the ratchet to get the right angle. The inner (long) stud I can't recall ever getting on with anything but a very small crescent wrench. Of course torque wrenches are normally 1/2", so you either have to adapt down to the smaller socket or do it by feel. I have found that 35 lbs is about as hard as I can crank a 3/8 with normal handle length. One can do the easy ones by hand and check them with the torque wrench to calibrate oneself. There are likely tools available to do this more methodically, but I don't have any. Have always been successful using this approach.

Don't forget to tighten sequentially from the center, preferably incrementally, to avoid breaking the manifold (easy to do.)

Logan

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2011, 04:59:28 PM »
Does the 54 not have the removable access plate in the right inner fender like the 53 does?  I have adjusted my valves through this plate with no need to remover the manifolds.

Fid

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2011, 11:48:13 AM »
I've never used a torque wrench when installing a manifold on a KF product.  I just snug the nuts down, not too tight but pretty snug. Then drive the car around and get the engine up to operating temperature.  Let it cool down, then go around and snug them all up again, if they need it.  That's always worked for me.
1953 Henry J Corsair Deluxe
Edgar Kaiser's custom 1951 Henry J
1951 Kaiser Special
1952 Allstate Deluxe

Need your classic car radio repaired? I repair vacuum tube radios

oldpm

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2011, 07:51:02 PM »
Thanks to all for the responses!  I will tighten the nuts carefully but not worrying about the exact torque values.  I did remove the panel but with the car on jackstands I could not access anything but the rearmost set of valves;maybe if the car was on a lift.  One position to long, cramps etc.  Thanks again.
Barry