Author Topic: steering box  (Read 2778 times)

Logan

• View Profile
    • Email
steering box
« on: June 10, 2011, 09:21:39 PM »
Now that I've got my power steering pump rebuilt, there is a lot of play in the steering box and it is leaking, so I want to rebuild it.  I have hydramatic and power steering, and was wondering if anyone had taken one of these out and if there were any tricks.  Thanks.

Logan

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: steering box
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2011, 09:31:55 AM »
I'm looking at the shop manual which says to pull the pitman arm from the end of the steering column without having to take the other end of the pitman arm off, but with power steering, I don't know it will slip off without removing it from the power cylinder also.  I also have some different linking with automatic than what is described in the shop manual.

stroker70

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2011, 11:27:25 AM »
I'm not 100% sure regarding Kaisers but every other car that I have worked on with similar power steering has grease in the gear box, not oil. Over fifty plus years the grease breaks down and liquefies then leaks out of the box. Take the same grease and grease gun you would lube your tie rods with and pump it full. The old grease will ooze out the vent cap and you keep filling until you see fresh grease coming out. Then adjust the sector shaft play on the car and unless you have bad bearings, it will tighten up your steering play. I would try this before pulling the box off for a rebuild. If you feel the need to take the box out, the pitman arm will definitely need to be removed on both ends with a specific pitman arm puller. Looking at mine it appears the entire steering column would come out with the box, a big job with the potential of breaking fragile parts under the dash while doing it.

Logan

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2011, 12:13:11 PM »
The steering box definitely takes gear oil according to the shop manual.  A trusted mechanic said it needs to be rebuilt when he was doing the alignment--there is a lot of play in it.  I know it's a big job, and am considering whether or not to do it.

mbflemingkf

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2011, 02:35:26 PM »
It's best to use the lubricant type and viscosity listed in the Owner's Manual.
KFOCI #4818, Since 1982

Rear view mirror:
1954 Kaiser Manhattan, 4 Door (Now in FL)
1955 Kaiser Manhattan, 2 Door (Now in TX)
1953 Kaiser Manhattan, 4 Door (Now in Australia)
Thousands of parts & literature (All over the world)

jsgmpeek

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2011, 06:34:55 PM »
Logan,
You remove the steering box at the vibration dampener on the steering column, 3 bolts. I had to use a bench press to remove the pitman arm from the gear box. I couldn't get it off even using heat. The mounting bolts to the frame is pretty standard.  Finally Lars corp also rebuilds steering boxes and I have had good luck with them.  John

Logan

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2011, 01:11:42 AM »
So, it looks like you removed the pitman arm from the drag link, and then took the steering box off with the pitman arm still connected to it, right?  Did you pull the steering column down and out under the car, or up and out through the passenger compartment?

jsgmpeek

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2011, 03:10:13 PM »
Sorry I don't check in as often as I should. I did not remove the steering column I pulled the steering box from under the car, the vibration dampener is a flat surface, I did disconnect the horn wire from the relay.

Logan

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2011, 09:09:11 PM »
It's sounding like a big job, so I think I am going to live with it for now.  It will need to be done sometime.