Author Topic: Vapor Lock  (Read 1789 times)

Orphanauto

• View Profile
    • www.orphanauto.webs.com
    • Email
Vapor Lock
« on: August 14, 2011, 02:06:04 PM »
I have had vapor lock problems ever since I bought my 53 Kaiser. I have read stories on people that had this problem, then fixed it, but no detail on how. Am I correct in my thinking, that if I run a electric fuel pump, then replace the fuel line going from the manuel pump to carb more away from the manifolds do to the heat, that that should fix it? I know todays fuel has no lead, and therefore boils, or "vaporizes" at a much lower temp. Any help and ideas would be much appreciated, thanks.
1953 Kaiser Manhattan 4-door

kaiserfrazerlibrary

• KFOCI Historian
    • AOL Instant Messenger - none
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - none
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Vapor Lock
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2011, 07:22:41 PM »
Many people have installed electric pumps in old cars, not just K-F product as the lowering of evaporation temperature has affected a lot of old cars and trucks.  Unless you are in a naturally high temperature area (like AZ or TX) you may not have to re-route the fuel lines as the pressure from the electric pump will move the bubbles through the system and keep liquid fuel going.

Electric pump pressure on most pumps can be regulated.  If you cannot find someone who can give you more info on this, you could try people like Dale Hammon or Jim Lape who have some experience with this.  The pump can be tucked into the rear wheel well area to keep it hidden for judging purposes.  Dale Hammon put one in the 1951 Kaiser Special Business Coupe Barbara and I had.

HJ-ETEX

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2011, 07:37:32 PM »
My recommendation is to get an electric fuel pump and use it as a "helper" mounted near the gas tank or along the frame rails rather than a replacement of the stock fuel pump.
I could write several pages on the types of electric pumps and where they can be mounted but it can all be distilled to this:
What can you buy NOW at the parts store?
There aren't very many 6V units still available.
Adding an electric fuel pump will have less impact on car judging (if that really makes a difference to you) than the removal of the stock mechanical fuel pump.
One other related topic is the replacement of the steel gas lines. These plug up on the inside or develop holes from outside over the years and these conditions can significantly affect fuel flow.
KFOCI VP 2001-2005
1951 Kaiser Deluxe /327 Chevy
1951 Kaiser Deluxe (no funny stuff)
1968 Kaiser Commando V6
1961 Willys 2WD 134 F-Head SW
1963 Kaiser FC170

Doc

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2011, 10:14:47 PM »
6V electric fuel pumps show up on ebay but you must be very cautious not to get the type that the mechanical pump will not pump through.  I have successully (as you indicated) rerouted the fuel line well away from the exhaust manifold and used three diffrent type electric electric pumps, a Delco solid state type, another solid state type from Mac's Antique autos, and the Carter 4259 rotary vane type availbale from NAPA. These pumps are mounted on the frame above the left rear wheel for fairly easy access.
'54 Manhattan
'54 Late Special
'51 Frazer sedan