Author Topic: Virginian Rear Window Glass  (Read 1554 times)

Roadmaster49

• View Profile
    • Email
Virginian Rear Window Glass
« on: July 16, 2011, 09:51:11 AM »
I should have my 49 Virginian in the garage by this fall. It will require a complete restoration. In reading, I see that the Virginian has unique rear glass.  Has anyone remanufactured this and done a run of pieces?  If not, I would think these should be treated with "kid gloves" as unobtainium in the event of breakage.  

Would there be interest from the KF community in manufacturing a run of the 3 pieces?
No old cars owned.

joefrazer

• View Profile
Re: Virginian Rear Window Glass
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2011, 07:24:51 AM »
To my knowledge, the only glass that the club has remanufactured has been the windshields for Darrins and also for the 52-5 Kaisers (although the latter is technically for the 53 Dragons and 54-5 cars with special order tint/shade glass).

Due to the low production on the hardtops, my guess is that the demand for new glass isn't there.

jerussel

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2011, 01:15:32 PM »
Try these guys.  I got a new split windshield for my '51 Frazer.

Call us at (406) 697-9543 (ask for Kathy) or e-mail us at vintageautoglass@yahoo.com

KWZ

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2011, 02:14:12 PM »
I should have my 49 Virginian in the garage by this fall. It will require a complete restoration. In reading, I see that the Virginian has unique rear glass.  Has anyone remanufactured this and done a run of pieces?  If not, I would think these should be treated with "kid gloves" as unobtainium in the event of breakage.  

Would there be interest from the KF community in manufacturing a run of the 3 pieces?

Treat it as unobtanium.  It is not replacable. It is unigue to the '49-'50 Virginians and '51F hardtops.  Interestingly, it appears all glass unique to convertibles and hardtops is date coded 10-48.  I guess KF ordered a finite amount of the stuff all at once.  I own a '49 Virginian and a '51F convertible, and i owned a '49F convertible and '51F hardtop in the past.  All of these cars had the 10-48 date codes....
'48 Kaiser Special
'49 Kaiser Virginian
'51 Frazer Manhattan convertible