Author Topic: Restarting my stored Henry-J  (Read 2518 times)

BobWolterbeek

• View Profile
    • Email
Restarting my stored Henry-J
« on: September 30, 2011, 06:57:40 PM »
15 years ago I put my henry-J in storage. Now I want to start it up again. Years ago I read a post explaining the steps that I must take to restart the engine without damaging it. Anyone know where I might find it or maybe a new site that could help? Thanks, Bob

Jim B PEI

• People want simple answers, even if they are wrong
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Restarting my stored Henry-J
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2011, 10:02:21 PM »
Simply, you want everything to be well lubricated, and there to be oil pressure BEFORE you attempt starting. This is what I would do.

If the oil is old, drain and refill. Use oil with a higher zinc/phosperous content like Shell Rotella T for diesels, or oil with a bottle of ZDDP added, just to cut down/avoid wear on a 'dry' engine.
Remove the sparkplugs and use marine fogging oil or Marvels Mystery oil down each cylinder. Coating each cylinder and letting it seep through the valve train/rings is a good idea.
Turn the engine over by hand, and see if there is any binding anywhere. Should be easy (fairly) with the spark plugs out. Wait overnight.
Spray again the next day.
Detach the fuel line from the pump. If engine not binding, spin the engine plugs out using the starter in short bursts no more than 15-20 seconds at a time. Wait a minute or two between tries. See if oil pressure develops, and get that oil circulating everywhere. Don't overdo it. (Make sure you have a good strong spark coming when you spin engine)
If it does had pressure, reinstall plugs. Make sure the battery is freshly charged.  First fuel should not be from the tank, through the lines, or through the pump. Set up gravity line feed from container into the intake of the carb. Spray some gasoline into the bowl. Set the choke to make sure it is getting a rich enough feed to start cold and without fuel line pressure. COVER up the carb! (don't want backfires, do we?)
Attempt to start it in short spins. If it starts, try to keep it running. If it will stay running, it should be a cold idle speed high enough to keep up oil pressure. Monitor temperature and oil pressure, and valve train noise and make sure you there is water circulating properly, and no leaks, especially at the freeze plugs. Sometimes it might be better for first start to run the in and out hoses through a large bucket rather than the rad.
If everything is fine, gently run the engine a bit faster in little bursts by goosing the throttle connection as it warms. Gently does it. Might be dried deposits in the needle and seat and jets--this might free them up.

Button up the engine, and start again, same process.  Get it warm and run the engine at a fast idle speed for about 20-30 minutes or so, with little blips. Shut down, drain that oil and refill with fresh oil etc, and go from there.

Anything to add to this, anyone?

KF
49 Kaiser Special Glass Green, Saskatchewan new
Studebaker
64 2dr 170-6 auto Astra White Commander Special
63 4dr Wagonaire 259V8 o/d Blue
57 4dr 185-6 auto Glendale Green/Turquoise
57 4dr 185-6 o/d Glendale Green/Turquoise W6 clone
lawn art
57 Stude 259V8 auto. 56 Panhard

Corsairdeluxe

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2011, 10:21:43 AM »
Very good advice Jim. I might add that one of the most likely failures on a 15 year stored engine will be the accelerator pump diaphram hardening and cracking.
Jim Brown aka Corsairdeluxe
10 Henrys and 1 ALLSTATE
behind me. J less at the moment and having irrational thoughts.

BobWolterbeek

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2011, 07:51:49 PM »
Thanks, I'll check the accelerator pump diaphram before I try starting it. Now I have what will sound like a dumb question. Is the Henry-J a positive ground or a negative ground car? The reason I'm questioning this that when I started to connect the new battery (the old one is gone) the battery wire coming from the block was the smaller one which fits the positive terminal and the wire coming from the starter was the larger one which fits the negative terminal. The shop manual that I had when I parked the car is also gone. Thanks, Bob
« Last Edit: October 01, 2011, 09:02:59 PM by BobWolterbeek »

Fid

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2011, 12:44:47 AM »
Positive ground. Just for future reference, all KF products were 6 volt positive ground.
1953 Henry J Corsair Deluxe
Edgar Kaiser's custom 1951 Henry J
1951 Kaiser Special
1952 Allstate Deluxe

Need your classic car radio repaired? I repair vacuum tube radios

Corsairdeluxe

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2011, 09:24:04 AM »
After 15 years,to be on the safe side , I would assume a rusty gas tank. Before starting I would remove the line at the tank. Rust usually shows up in the tube that goes down into the tank.I reccomend a clear see-through filter at the tank and a smaller one at the carb inlet.Remember 6 volts require a  heavier gage battery lead.You may have to clean your plugs several times to keep a hot spark with all the oil being used.
Jim Brown aka Corsairdeluxe
10 Henrys and 1 ALLSTATE
behind me. J less at the moment and having irrational thoughts.

boatingbill

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2011, 04:16:04 PM »
12v starter leads are #2 gauge and 6v starter leads are a heavier #1 gauge. Be sure to pull
the coil wire out of the coil before turning over the motor to prevent accidental starting of the
engine while you are getting the motor lubed up. A friend of mine tried doing what your doing
and did not pull the coil wire. He pumped the gas several times to see if there was gas in the
carb. Then he tried turning over the motor to see if it was free and it fired up and then blew up before he could turn the key off. The motor had a "dry" start and threw a rot through the block destroying a vintage '67 Corvette numbers matching motor. Make sure everything has been done
and you are fully ready to start the motor before putting that coil wire back in.

BobWolterbeek

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2011, 12:29:57 AM »
I pulled the spark plugs and poured mystery oil in each cylinder and let it sit over night. Then with the plugs still out I turned the engine over a number of times for about 15 seconds each time. Tomorrow I'm going to turn it over a few more times, then replace the spark plugs, disconnect the gas line at the carburetor and try starting it by pouring a small amount of gas down the carburetor. I still have to flush out the gas tank and gas line. I'm not sure what to us for this though. Bob

BobWolterbeek

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2011, 01:34:55 AM »
Can't wait until I get it running again so I can go camping.