Author Topic: Wonderbar Radio in a 1950 Kaiser?  (Read 1746 times)

Roadmaster49

• View Profile
    • Email
Wonderbar Radio in a 1950 Kaiser?
« on: January 06, 2012, 10:49:55 AM »
I just received a call from a seller in Iowa that is offering a 1950 Kaiser.  It sounds like a good deal. He said it had a "factory" WonderBar or signal seeking radio in it. 1950? I know that by the mid fifties this was a popular GM option that went into the sixties.

He also said it had a factory sunvisor. Missing the taillights, $1150 delivered - in black primer, no sign of rust, complete shabby interior. Had running on 2 cylinders but the valves were stuck. Inside storage 25 years. Saved from the crusher 25 years ago and never got to it.
No old cars owned.

Roadmaster49

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Wonderbar Radio in a 1950 Kaiser?
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2012, 10:51:09 AM »
Also, did they make Kaisers with Manhattan trim in 1950 or were they still selling Manhattans only under the Frazer name?

(Pardon me I am at work and my reference materials are not in front of me)
No old cars owned.

Jim B PEI

• People want simple answers, even if they are wrong
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2012, 12:23:27 PM »
The Manhattan name was Kaiser's from 52 onwards, 51 and before its Frazer. Its possible that the year is mistaken, such as the "title" (such an odd concept--glad we don't have that in Canada) being issued in 1950 for a 1951 model car--no, that won't work, because in 51 Kaisers were still Special (aren't they all?) or Deluxe or later Virginian for 52 as opposed to 'real' 52 Kaisers.  BUT, if it has Frazer Manhattan script on it, I think that is worth a few dollars for Frazer owners depending on the year of the script. The serial number on the driver's door should sort out what it really is
KF
49 Kaiser Special Glass Green, Saskatchewan new
Studebaker
64 2dr 170-6 auto Astra White Commander Special
63 4dr Wagonaire 259V8 o/d Blue
57 4dr 185-6 auto Glendale Green/Turquoise
57 4dr 185-6 o/d Glendale Green/Turquoise W6 clone
lawn art
57 Stude 259V8 auto. 56 Panhard

kaiserfrazerlibrary

• KFOCI Historian
    • AOL Instant Messenger - none
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - none
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2012, 12:47:00 PM »
Kaiser-Frazer radios used in 1947-50 model year cars came with a foot actuated vacuum switch which allowed drivers the ability to tune the radio without reaching over to the tuning knob.  This is documented in various factory items including the installation sheet. 

Since nobody put a picture in of the car, there is no way of telling if the car is actually a Frazer, Frazer Manhattan or a Kaiser.  What does the door post serial number say?

Fid

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2012, 01:45:11 PM »
To add to what Jack said, I've found that some people have no idea what a signal-seeking radio is and just assume the button on the front performs that function. I've repaired a lot a of vacuum tube car radios and that is a common mistake. If it is the 1947/48 style GE KF radio, it's likely the person is mistaken. 
None of the factory issue KF radios were signal-seeking.
On another note, I've seen younger sellers list these old AM radios on ebay and Craig's List as "Old car stereo..." having no idea what "stereo" really means any more.
And the foot switch is electric, not vacuum.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2016, 07:57:18 PM by Fid »
1953 Henry J Corsair Deluxe
Edgar Kaiser's custom 1951 Henry J
1951 Kaiser Special
1952 Allstate Deluxe

Need your classic car radio repaired? I repair vacuum tube radios

Roadmaster49

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2012, 02:14:45 PM »
Since nobody put a picture in of the car, there is no way of telling if the car is actually a Frazer, Frazer Manhattan or a Kaiser.  What does the door post serial number say?

The car is definitely a Kaiser. The fellow said it had "Buffalo" emblems.  I think I'll make a run at it (buy it) but I doubt he would check serial numbers for me. When and if I get it, I'll post details. BUT I don't think I can go wrong $1150 delivered to my garage. 3spd w/overdrive car. In black primer, grille and all trim is present except the taillights. Even has hubcaps in the trunk.
No old cars owned.