Author Topic: 31 Henry J's at Auction  (Read 3525 times)

Roadmaster49

• View Profile
    • Email
31 Henry J's at Auction
« on: February 26, 2012, 09:54:33 AM »
Anybody know about this?  I would have to think a Henry J boneyard is owned by a KFOCI member?

Spotted this in my local newspaper this afteroon: Thirty-one (31) Henry-J cars to be auctioned in Warrenton, Va., on March 3, 2012 at 10 AM. See auction notice at AUCTION SCHEDULE . Warrenton is about 45 minutes west of Washington, DC. Address of auction is 8608 Green Rd.

This was posted with photos on the AACA Kaiser Frazer Willys forum and I just transferred info to here.
No old cars owned.

Kory Fox

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: 31 Henry J's at Auction
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2012, 10:03:51 AM »
Don't know anything about it but that's only a little over an hour from me. If I can manage to not schedule any work for that day, I may ride up there just to see what's up. Not that I have any money to buy anything.

Kory

Fid

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2012, 01:23:19 PM »
Those cars were actually listed for sale last spring for the price of $75,000 for all of them - it was on this forum. The seller would not break up the set and the ad said "If not sold by June xx (I don't recall the specific date)... they will be scrapped...."  Anyway, that date passed and the cars are still there. It's tough to find someone who has $75,000 to spend and would then spend it on a bunch of cars that aren't driveable. This auction makes more sense. I hope it will put some workable cars and some good parts in the hands of those who want and need them.
1953 Henry J Corsair Deluxe
Edgar Kaiser's custom 1951 Henry J
1951 Kaiser Special
1952 Allstate Deluxe

Need your classic car radio repaired? I repair vacuum tube radios

Roadmaster49

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2012, 07:03:38 PM »
So not a KF member probably.  Strange how this world works.  $75,000 for 31 cars, looks like all non running projects. Hate to be blunt, but this guy was unrealistic.  And typical - you will buy these cars according to my terms!

Thanks for saving 31 Henry J's but here we are several months later and now there is an auction. 
« Last Edit: February 26, 2012, 09:24:27 PM by Roadmaster49 »
No old cars owned.

kaiserfrazerlibrary

• KFOCI Historian
    • AOL Instant Messenger - none
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - none
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2012, 08:04:05 PM »
Looked at the posted pictures; I would guess less than 7 of them are potentially restorable and even roll capiable.  Looks like he wanted to get into the HJ street rod/dragster business and thought the world would beat a path to his door.

boothguy

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2012, 08:56:45 AM »
Went to the sale, most went to junkyards, Leons got the most cars, so parts will be available for a while though at a serious markup, scrappers got another 10 or so but were encouraged to try and sell parts before crushing. My guess is about 10 were bought as projects. The best car brought $2000, an sbc powered rough project went for $5-600, everything else I think went for less than $500. I don't think he grossed $10000 for all 31 cars. The big surprises were the Jesus trailers went for $1800 each and a fibreglass horse went for $450. Interesting day, I had never seen that many J's in one place before.

Skipplehammer

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2012, 11:33:25 AM »
I'm in Alexandria, VA.  I have thought about going to Leon's.  How are they to buy from, or deal with?
1951 Henry J.
6 cyl, O/D
KFOCI # 5949

boothguy

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2012, 09:51:24 PM »
I've never had it happen to me but I've seen him verbally abuse customers. Throw in what I think are very high prices and  it explains why I've been shopping everywhere but Leon's for a long time. On the plus side he is relatively close and has lots of stuff. Try him out, your results may vary. The tour is worth the trip even if you don't end up buying anything.

joefrazer

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2012, 05:56:00 PM »
The cars sold at auction. Prices varied anywhere from $509 to $2000 each. A few even ran.