Author Topic: 226 engine knock  (Read 3221 times)

Doc

• View Profile
    • Email
226 engine knock
« on: December 15, 2008, 09:46:17 PM »
'54 Early Special. Valve job recently completed (9 springs were broken.....believed to be due to valve cover gasket folded up under, allowing moisture and thus rust over a long down time) and now the car idles very smoothly. Car has 40-50 psi oil pressure per the gauge. However under load there is a knocking sound we believe to be piston #1. Any ideas what might be the culprit? Is there any longtitudinal clearance cam adjustment on the front of the engine?
'54 Manhattan
'54 Late Special
'51 Frazer sedan

carsngolf

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: 226 engine knock
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2009, 09:26:34 PM »
Hi Doc,

I'd be more inclined to suspect a rod knock despite the good oil pressure.  Obviously, the only way to tell for certain is a tear down.  Actually, not a huge project.  Pulling the engine on one these cars is relatively simple compared to modern stuff.  You'll have to take off the hood, drain engine and radiator fluids, pull the radiator and then pull the engine.  I've done it singlehanded in my late 60's.  Be careful of the manifolds as they seem to be made of the poorest quality cast iron known to man.  If you only pull the head and oil pan, you won't even have to touch them and so much the better.

On the plus side, you have acres of room on all sides to work on the engine compared to modern stuff.

Parts for the engines are still widely available and relatively cheap.  Continental built these engines for many, many years and they were used in a wide variety of Jeeps as well as lift trucks, etc.

Completely rebuilt Continental engines are also available for $3000 or less as I found recently on the internet, but darned if I can recall where I saw it.  A Google search would probably give a lot of leads.

Good luck, and feel free to drop me a note if you like.

Jerry Weiland   gjwslw@ameritech.net

ken taplin

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2009, 08:50:46 AM »
If it's a rod bearing it should rattle at RPM never mind load. Rod bearings can be replaced with the engine in place. I just did it.
Ken taplin

ktaplin@gwi.net

Gordie

• MSN Messenger - gordies1@verizon.net
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Gordie
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2009, 02:52:57 PM »
Thanks for keeping us up to date.  We were waiting to see what you found and I am happy that it was only a rod bearing.  That is fairly common on the 226.
Member #3151 Since June 1974
Vice President K.F.O.C.I. 2013-2017  President 2018-2019
'47 Graham Paige Frazer                                   
'51 Kaiser Deluxe club coupe       
'51 Kaiser customized convertible 
'52 Allstate serial#39
'53 Aero Eagle
'54 Aero Eagle Custom

Doc

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2009, 03:24:20 PM »
Front main bearing also bad; couple pistons as well, so it's total rebuild. Taking care of the erratic shifting tranny while the engine is out.
'54 Manhattan
'54 Late Special
'51 Frazer sedan

jsgmpeek

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2009, 02:04:08 PM »
Hello,
You might like to contact Ed Ewing #9150, Redding, CA PH: 530-241-7990 (shop) or 530-241-2296.  He is a good man and wonderful to work with on any engine problem/exchange.

Roger

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2009, 11:29:27 PM »
'54 Early Special. Valve job recently completed (9 springs were broken.....believed to be due to valve cover gasket folded up under, allowing moisture and thus rust over a long down time) and now the car idles very smoothly. Car has 40-50 psi oil pressure per the gauge. However under load there is a knocking sound we believe to be piston #1. Any ideas what might be the culprit? Is there any longtitudinal clearance cam adjustment on the front of the engine?
Hello  there is a possibility that the front vibration dampner could be the cause of the knocking noise, also if the main thrust bearing is worn allowing the crankshaft to move forward or back when under load. one other thing to check is to have the engine at running temp and give it aprox 1/4 throttle (800 to 1000 rpm and if the noise shows up then there is a great chance it's a wristpin.
  I hope this might help
      Roger   

Doc

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2009, 05:20:43 PM »
Getting into the enigne we found a number of problems, but February 8th I drove it home 42 miles from the shop after a total engine rebuild and have driven it three or four times since.
'54 Manhattan
'54 Late Special
'51 Frazer sedan