Author Topic: Award Presentations  (Read 2901 times)

Terry T

• EX--Editor Darrin Newsletter/Registry
    • View Profile
    • Email
Award Presentations
« on: July 10, 2012, 11:18:22 AM »
At the National Conventions, awards are typically presented in the morning the day after the banquet.
At Sweetwater, many attendees left the motel before the awards were presented.  I'm sure that some procedure is in place to get the trophies to the proper winner.

In contrast, at San Diego, the awards were presented during the evening of the banquet.  I do not remember that there were any winners not in attendance.
Additionally, these awards were different than at most conventions--each award had a picture of the owner standing next to their car.

Should we consider changing the time of award presentions to maximize the number of winners to be present?

G.B. (All Vinyl Dragon)

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Award Presentations
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2012, 11:38:20 AM »
At the National Conventions, awards are typically presented in the morning the day after the banquet.
At Sweetwater, many attendees left the motel before the awards were presented.  I'm sure that some procedure is in place to get the trophies to the proper winner.

In contrast, at San Diego, the awards were presented during the evening of the banquet.  I do not remember that there were any winners not in attendance.
Additionally, these awards were different than at most conventions--each award had a picture of the owner standing next to their car.

Should we consider changing the time of award presentions to maximize the number of winners to be present?

This is a Good Question Terry. It also depends How Long You want the People & Vehicles to stay as well.

See when I joined long Time ago it was a Weekend for most important part of the event. I think it started with Check in Wed. Then events started Thursday & lasted till Sunday Morning.  So Judging was Saturday Morn- Afternoon, then Banquit that Night. Judges would go over the sheets after banquit. Trophy's Sunday Morn.

Then they made it a Week Long Event. I am not retired Yet. But  I always thought if You was, it was a better Idea ?
So one of Your Weeks off ( Vacation) do a National. 

So What they did in San Diego has always been a suggestion...
« Last Edit: July 10, 2012, 11:41:28 AM by G.B. (All Vinyl Dragon) »
Research on All Vinyl Dragons & Dragon List.
G.B. Bonham LM  K.F.O.C. Club.
Also: Vintage Electronics, TV, Stereo, Radio, & Broadcasting.
Looking for Kaye Halbert TV, 27 inch screen mid 50's
made in Culver City, Calif.

kaiserfrazerlibrary

• KFOCI Historian
    • AOL Instant Messenger - none
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - none
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2012, 12:56:53 PM »
For many, many years, the presentations were made at the banquet.  However, the people running the event one year believed that to present all the trophies after dinner would take too long because we went to GOLD SILVER BRONZE (so that cars in similar stature would recieve the same recognition) rather than straight FIRST SECOND THIRD. 

People will probably NOT travel a long distance to a meet if they have to wait until Saturday morning to get their trophy.  Meet organizers should consider the situations of these people when planing awards presentations.

Aeroman

• View Profile
    • Willys Aero Survival Count
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2012, 01:14:03 PM »
For years now, trophies were awarded just before Blanche Mericle's Champagne Farewell Toast on Friday morning.
Rick Kamen
KFOCI LM4314 since 1979
Willys Aero Survival Count
aeroman@aol.com
http://clubs.hemmings.com/willysaero
1954 Willys Aero Eagle "Old Toby"
1964 Ford Econoline panel van
Once owned 11 other Willys Aeros and a Willys wagon, 2 Kaisers, 1 Henry J, plus Studebakers, Hudsons, a Nash and others.

kdar353

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2012, 01:30:35 PM »
Terry,
I think you make some valid points. The banquet was a smashing success and would have been a tremendous opportunity to present the awards then get pictures done. The notion of it being a weekend event makes sense for those of us still working.  I think it could raise our visitor numbers on the weekends also. Just my thoughts and thanks for asking.
 Bill (Darrin #353)

pnw_oldmags

• Administrator
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
    • CircleKF Website
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2012, 02:26:22 PM »
Let not forget the time it takes after the Judging to tabulate and retabulate the scores and organize the Trophies being handed out.   Any clerical errors in this detailed process can cause lots of hard feelings.  When you judge on Thursday and Banquet on Thursday - and the field being judged is large I think trophies at the banquet would be very difficult to pull off.  Maybe the Judging could be moved to Wednesday??
Jim Betts  LM6945
PNW Traveler Editor
CircleKF Webmaster
https://circlekf.com

joefrazer

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2012, 02:50:20 PM »
I strongly favor handling the awards with the banquet on the evening prior to the show's end. Then, the next morning could be devoted to a farewell breakfast with Blanche's toast and a few parting comments by the host or club officers. For those who fly into a meet, Friday morning is typically a race to the airport to catch an early flight back home and I'm sure a few of them would like to know who won awards...so handing them out at the banquet gets my vote.

I realize that there will be those who say that by combining the awards ceremony with the banquet means a longer dinner event, but that can be remedied by keeping the number of door prizes and auction items to a reasonable number. I'd rather have better door prizes, and fewer of them!

Fid

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2012, 04:06:53 PM »
I remember at Auburn in 2004 they presented the awards at the banquet. What took all the time at the banquet was listening to a guest speaker talk about a topic which had nothing to do with cars or KF and many attendees got up and left. I was ready to do so myself. If it's an awards banquet, I think it would be best to stick to awards at that banquet.
1953 Henry J Corsair Deluxe
Edgar Kaiser's custom 1951 Henry J
1951 Kaiser Special
1952 Allstate Deluxe

Need your classic car radio repaired? I repair vacuum tube radios

porsche1914

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2012, 05:07:53 PM »
Lowell, I remember in 1975 in Sterling, I'll. You had to listen to a young brash guitar player and his group, after the banquet, while they did the calculating and passing out of the awards.
It's good they don't have to be subjected to that.
1951 Henry J Deluxe

Fid

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2012, 06:36:33 PM »
That was a good time! Especially the 12 string guitar and "Bad, Bad Leroy Brown!"
1953 Henry J Corsair Deluxe
Edgar Kaiser's custom 1951 Henry J
1951 Kaiser Special
1952 Allstate Deluxe

Need your classic car radio repaired? I repair vacuum tube radios