Author Topic: Seeking Advice to Restore '53 All Vinyl Dragon  (Read 1610 times)

fowens

• View Profile
    • Email
Seeking Advice to Restore '53 All Vinyl Dragon
« on: July 07, 2012, 03:37:15 PM »
My son & I are slowly restoring "Henry" the Family Heirloom, a '53 Holly Mist Green all vinyl Dragon.  Engine, brakes, etc. are done.  Now it's time for cosmetics. 
(1)  Need source for white "poplin" vinyl for the top, as well as rubber seals for windshield & backlight.  And most important, any advice about how to do this job!  Upholstery shop said they would glue edges at drip rail.  Is that a good idea? 
(2)  Source for carpets, interior &  trunk.  The rest of the interior is in surprisingly good condition. 
(3)  All those gold bits on hood, trunk, & fenders are pitted and/or painted.  I shudder to think of the cost, but ...  Can you recommend someone who can do it?  Any idea of the cost?? 
(4)  One more thing, the driver's side wiper floats above the glass [not much help!]  Can I just replace the spring at the base of the arm? 

Many thanks for any and all tips! 
Fred Owens
My direct email is <fowens@fandm.edu>

G.B. (All Vinyl Dragon)

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Seeking Advice to Restore '53 All Vinyl Dragon
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2012, 04:52:51 PM »
Mr. Fred Owens,

Good to see You here... 

I want all the All Vinyl Dragon folk to keep in touch. This includes the Ivory 106/ 5311 All Vinyl Dragons with Lt Green inserts Boucle like Our White Boucle.

I may be wrong ?   Your All Vinyl Dragon has had the same Home longer than any on the AV Dragon List.

Here is the Dragon Forum I started long ago.   It is in the Virginians, Hardtops, Convertibles, & Dragons.       Here :         http://kfclub.com/forum/index.php/topic,46.0.html
Research on All Vinyl Dragons & Dragon List.
G.B. Bonham LM  K.F.O.C. Club.
Also: Vintage Electronics, TV, Stereo, Radio, & Broadcasting.
Looking for Kaye Halbert TV, 27 inch screen mid 50's
made in Culver City, Calif.

dusty

• MSN Messenger - mr_blueberry30@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2012, 07:30:38 PM »
Fred,I still sell the Kaiser Parts Interchange and Sources that list the items that you are inquiring about. the Upholstery __SMS--Carpet (cal point) Chester and Herrod-less expensive-- and order the light green and a small can of dye from Ameracolor in the spring green and apply with a bottle sprayer till you get the color correct to the green bambu. ---gold plate and chrome is Ideal Custom Plating, recommended .---  the wiper spring is replaceable.--- Windshield rubber Rudy Phillips. 

Kenn Evans II

• MSN Messenger - winslowcemeteries@gmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2012, 12:08:18 AM »
When they do the top, do not let them straight edge the top against the car.  I ended up with a great amount of rust where they used the razor to trim right through into the paint into the metal and it cost me dearly to repair a couple of years later when it went to pot and left me with a bad case of bubbling rust.
Family of 1952 Kaiser Manhattan 1952 Kaiser Deluxe 1949 Kaiser Traveler 1961 Falcon Ranchero 1963 Galaxie 500 XL Conv. 1964 Cadillac Sovereign Landaulet combination ambulance hearse , 1970 Ford Truck F100 1972 Chevelle SS Conv.  1979 Chevrolet C100 KF Member # 10252