Author Topic: '51 Henry J paint job  (Read 2500 times)

51HJ

• View Profile
    • Email
'51 Henry J paint job
« on: February 28, 2012, 12:04:51 PM »
I'm trying to find someone  that can paint a Henry J and do a good job. The prices that I'm getting quoted are crazy. It has no rust issues and only minor dents and dings.  It's been media blasted and is going to be off the frame soon. I've been considering stopping the project. But I would travel to get this painted. Does anyone know a good painter that is reasonable? Thanks, Steve
My direct email is Hemi484@aol.com

darrin145

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: '51 Henry J paint job
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2012, 01:04:55 PM »
Steve - What do you consider reasonable (what have you been quoted)? Where are you located? I'm in Syracuse,NY and have been in the restoration business 40+ years.

Gary.

51HJ

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2012, 01:50:27 PM »
I've been quoted as much as $25,000, and I have the paint!

darrin145

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2012, 02:37:01 PM »
WOW!! Even I'm not THAT crazy! It's hard to say without seeing the car face to face, but with no rust and only minor damage, that quote is 2 to 3 times what it should be.

Gary.

kaiserfrazerlibrary

• KFOCI Historian
    • AOL Instant Messenger - none
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - none
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2012, 07:47:53 PM »
As already pointed out here, one reason for the high price is that they don't want to do the work unless all the dings, dents, etc are taken out or the blems will show like a sore thumb if repainted.  Since you don't state where you are, it is hard to figure out what can be done to help.  Personally I figure 25,000 (with the body issues taken care of) would seem to me 5 to 6 times high; according to OLD CARS PRICE GUIDE a Condition 1 (museum quality correct) HJ normally goes for notably under $25,000 and that includes the mechanical work, interior, tires, etc, etc, etc.

51HJ

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2012, 09:47:45 AM »
I'm in Oklahoma and this car is very nice. I removed the body and had it media blasted, No rust issues. minor dents. Some of the club members have come to look at it. So I've been primering it and sanding it. I figure I will paint it myself. I've painted cars in the past, no big deal, I just didn't what to do it with everything else I have going on. The chassis is finished, engine rebuilt, all the chrome replated, all new interior ( in my dining room) I'm picky but not stupid, so if  I make a mistake , I'll start over. I want it to be museum quality.

Kris_51henry

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2012, 01:58:49 AM »
Wow, I've know people that have spent 10,000 on paint and body which included replacing panels etc. but 25 is insane if it just needs a little hammer and dolly work.