Author Topic: Oils  (Read 2091 times)

Logan

• View Profile
    • Email
Oils
« on: March 16, 2009, 05:18:02 PM »
I'm eagerly awaiting delivery of my '53 Dragon, and have been thinking of what kind of oil I should use on it.  I have the KFOCI Handbook, which describes where all the fittings are and what oils to use, but I was wondering what everyone was using these days.  I know back when I had my '53 Manhattan in the early 90's I was using 20w20 in the engine, which is what is recommended in the manual.  Is this a good choice?  Also, what about differential oils?  The Handbook recommends 90, but would it hurt to use 80w90?  And for the Hydramatic it says Automatic Transmission Fluid Type A, which is also what it calls for in the power steering unit.  Is that the best choice?

My second question is about fuels.  I am not sure if the engine has hardened valve seats (I do know that engine work was performed by the previous owner).  What grade of gasoline, and what if any additives should I use?

Finally, any general maintenance tips would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance for the help and looking forward to getting answers on some of these more mundane issues.

carsngolf

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Oils
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2009, 06:21:38 PM »
Hi Logan,
Congratulations on your Dragon.  Always happy when another survivor finds a new home.  As to the questions on oil, there are probably some high techs in the club who can advise better than myself but if you look to the technology of the day, I'm pretty sure anything on the market today would be way above what was used in the 50's. 

Enjoy the car!

Jerry Weiland

47trev

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2009, 07:32:12 PM »
Im not sure about the weight of the oil but i put a additive called motorhead z boost it has zinc and phosphorus.
Most new oils have very little or no zinc and phosphorus and ive seen this distroy a new cam.
To be honest i dont know if i need this stuff but its not as expensive as a new engine.
And as for gas i just run a lead substitute or lead additive i was told thats all i need
Hope this helps

Fabian 51K

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2009, 02:25:40 PM »
I have always used straight 30 weight oil in my Kaisers for the last 20 years. No problems. If you can find Type A fluid anymore you are very lucky, last time I saw it was in the early 90's. Dextron/Mercon is virtually identical. I have used it in hydromatic no problem. 80/90 weight is gear oil usually comes in plastic bottles at you local parts store, is used in standard and overdrive transmission as well as the rear end. I am using Valvoline now in my 51 Kaiser, no problems. Brake fluid Prestone Dot 3 is the best I am using it now in my Kaiser, no problems. Brakes stop on a dime and do not lock up. DO NOT use silicone based fluid on Kaisers, it will eat the rubber in your lines and cylinders causing brake failure. Gasoline, I have always used 87 octane regular with the occasional dose of Marvel Mystery Oil, no problems. You can waste your money on hardened valve seats if you want to, but think about it, that is a cast iron block, the same stuff they made Battle Ships out of, do you think modern gasoline is going to hurt it? The lead additive in older gasoline was a lubricant, that is all. 3 in 1 oil found in every wal mart on the planet is used to lubricate the bearings/bushings on the starter and generator. A few drops every 1000 miles or so  is all you need. Any type of grease can be used to pack wheel bearings and lubricate steering linkage. I hope this answers a few questions.       

Logan

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2009, 10:59:32 PM »
Thanks, that's really helpful actually.