Author Topic: We Bought a Henry J  (Read 2020 times)

BigDave LM6174

• 1951 Kaiser Deluxe & 1952 Henry J Corsair Deluxe
    • MSN Messenger - dball344@msn.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
We Bought a Henry J
« on: March 31, 2013, 01:13:32 AM »
I am excited to share with you all that we bought a Henry J Corsair Deluxe today.  Ever since my Grandfather and I restored my 51 Kaiser back in 1987-89, I have always wanted a Henry J after seeing John Parkers White '53 at his Fullerton, CA.  shop.  We even discussed selling the Kaiser and getting a Henry J.  I am glad we kept the 51 Kaiser Deluxe, and that it is still in my garage.  I have wanted a Henry J for a very long time.

My oldest son is 12, and we purchased a 62 Nova that was in a local garage for 37 years about three years ago.  We worked on that car for about a year and got it back up to operating condition.  We enjoyed it for a couple years.

At the local Socal Region Christmas Party in early December, 2012,  one of our local region members John McKinley approached and discussed with my son and I that he has a 52 Henry J that has been sitting alot, and he has no desire to finish the restoration.  Would we be interested??????  Not letting on that I was jumping out of my skin, we agreed to get through the holidays and that I will come and see it at some point.  Car has been sitting many years and there is no rush.

Around late February I contacted him and expressed interest in at least seeing the car.  After seeing the car in his garage, I knew I had to have it.  We discussed a price that was very reasonable and discussed it with my wife, 2 sons and my daughter. (12,9, 6)  It was decided as a family that we would sell the beloved Nova to get the Henry J.  Well, the Nova finally sold last weekend!

I contacted John last week, and informed him that we are ready.  He asked me to come over with my 12 year old, and he will show us more of the car.  We went over and looked at the car more closely.

Car was purchased in 1975 from John, the car was painted 20 years ago.   The Engine and 3 Speed were rebuilt 10 years ago.  New brakes 8 years ago.  New Tires were installed a few years ago.  Everything else needs to be finished.  Car comes with everything to put it back together except it is missing its door panels.  The car shows 70,000 miles.  Over the years, John has continued to acrue parts.  The car has all new rubber that needs to be installed.  The car came with the Manufacturing Fund Floor Mat that has not been installed yet.  The car had 51 Deluxe Hubcaps, which i immediately removed (I needed extras for my 51 Deluxe anyway) 

The car was driven home today with no problems.    The restoration continues starting today.   

Attached is some pictures of the J sitting in the garage for all these years, and a picture of it fresh and clean from its wash today.
I will be posting many questions in the near future, asking for direction and advice from all of you.

David

Big Dave
KFOCI LM 6174
Whittier, CA.
1951 Kaiser Deluxe
1952 Henry J Corsair Deluxe
1958 Lido 14 Sailboat W/Trailer
1958 Carry All Trailer

BigDave LM6174

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: We Bought a Henry J
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2013, 01:17:46 AM »
How he looks after his bath.
Big Dave
KFOCI LM 6174
Whittier, CA.
1951 Kaiser Deluxe
1958 Carry All Trailer

j762538

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2013, 07:13:05 AM »
Nice! I think it will show well.
51 Kaiser Deluxe Traveler 2 door
54 Kaiser Early Special 4 door

BigDave LM6174

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2013, 08:48:38 AM »
I forgot to mention, it is a rust free car.  I have found no rust.  Unbelievable.
David
Big Dave
KFOCI LM 6174
Whittier, CA.
1951 Kaiser Deluxe
1958 Carry All Trailer

Corsairdeluxe

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2013, 10:17:23 AM »
Oh  Glory!
Jim Brown aka Corsairdeluxe
10 Henrys and 1 ALLSTATE
behind me. J less at the moment and having irrational thoughts.

JFerriss

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2013, 07:54:18 PM »
Congratulations big Dave! Looks like a fantastic find.