Author Topic: New member, Long time owner  (Read 2357 times)

Dutchdarrin

• View Profile
    • Email
New member, Long time owner
« on: May 31, 2013, 10:38:49 AM »
I have owned Darrin 427 since 1990.  It was the second classic car that I purchased and at the time, the most expensive.  As the value of this car continues to rise, it was in retrospect cheap.   I purchased the car out of Illinois and shipped it to its present location in Southern California. The car was repainted the correct Champaign color in the 70s and the engine was refreshed prior to my purchase After my purchase, I replaced the 70s shag carpet with the correct red loop to match the red vinyl.  At the time I purchased the car, it came with the correct material for the interior and top that I haven’t and probably won’t ever use.

I first learned about the Darrin after seeing a red one at the Deer Park Winery and Car Museum in Escondido California. After the owner of the winery died, his collection was sold at auction.  If the owner of that car is on this forum, it's now your fault that I own this wonderful car!

My car is what I'd consider an excellent driver and a good "three foot" car.  The interior and top are original and in great shape for vinyl that's almost 60 years old.  I drive it everywhere and often daily for weeks at a time.  It's sitting in my driveway now and I'll probably drive it all weekend and next week.  Nice thing about California is that come May, you really never have to worry about rain until October.  In the late 90s I was actually able to get the CA license plate of DARIN.  I believe another Darrin in California has the plate DARRIN but I found it hard to believe that any complete spelling of any word was available from the California DMV in the late 20th century.

As I drive the car all the time, I recently ran into a few situations that I hope the group can help me fix.

1.  Some inconsiderate person tried to open my passenger side door in the conventional way and pulled the rear pin out of the nylon runner.  I always thought that these runners were made years after the car was made since the original door blueprint shows a round roller rather than a rectangular runner.  Does anyone know who made them and who makes the clip that connects the pin to the runner?

2.  I’ve been able to replace most of the weather stripping on the car but I need to replace the door weather stripping (both in the front up against the body and at the latch end).  Where can I get the correct profile for both?  I’ve tried Steele and they don’t list the part on their web site.

3.  I broke the nut that retains the two arms at the center.  Does anyone make this nut anymore?

4.  Does anyone fix the engine and trunk prop rods at the base “swivel” and does anyone make the prop rod holders?

These are all niddly bits that don’t affect my driving but I’d like to see if I can get them fixed.  I used to purchase parts from Rudy Phillips but repeated phone calls and emails have gone unanswered so I don’t think he’s in business anymore.

I am an avid collector of cars with strange characteristics especially strange doors including a Delorean, a BMW Z1.  I also own a ’29 Viking speedster, a 48 Playboy and a working steam replica of an 1899 Locomobile.  Finally for my family car, I drive an 86 Mondial cabriolet.

I hope you will find me a productive member of your forum as I have considerable knowledge of the Darrin and Howard Darrin himself.

Nice to meet you all.

Dutch.

joefrazer

• View Profile
Re: New member, Long time owner
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2013, 01:09:35 PM »
For the door and other gaskets, try these guys - http://www.restorationspecialties.com/

They carry alot of generic material and their website lists actual size profiles of various gasket material. If you have a sample, you can match to what they have. I've known the guys for years and Dave, the owner, knows of Darrins and and at one time wanted to buy mine.

For the swivels, I found one used for military vehicle gas pedals that worked for me. Now all I gotta do is find the paperwork from when I bought them!

Logan

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2013, 09:33:00 AM »
Welcome to the club!  I'm sure a lot of people on here would be interested to here any Dutch anecdotes you might have.

Dutchdarrin

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2013, 02:14:38 PM »
You are correct.  London Mills Illinois.  Mr. Young purchased the car from his brother.  As far as I was aware, the car had never been out of central Illinois until I purchased it.  Mr. Young was a farmer with a penchant for Lincoln Mark cars.  He had a few of them. 

I actually have to correct one thing.  I purchased the car in December of 1995 so I haven't had the car for 20 years yet.

Dutch

darrin502

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2013, 02:16:17 PM »
I have seen the swivels in a Studebaker  parts catalog. I think they have prop rods.
LM #1068
1954 Darrin # 103
1954 Darrin #  60
1954 Darrin #  51
1954 Darrin #  91
1954 Darrin # 394
1954 Darrin # 193
1959 Corvette
1968 Corvette
1968 Mustang
1959 Austin Healy Bug Eye Sprite
2002 Limited Edition Camaro