Author Topic: ENGINE SWAP  (Read 4529 times)

dusty

• MSN Messenger - mr_blueberry30@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
ENGINE SWAP
« on: August 30, 2013, 10:18:18 PM »
Has anyone swapped a AMC/Nash small block and Hydro into a 51-55 Kaiser. ? I have 3 really good 54s and have read Kaiser designed the basic V8 then sold the works to AMC it would be great if it fit without a lot of mods. am thinking to buy a rusted out mid western car so I get all the accessories and plant it in one of the 54s.for a highway driver. the other 2 will get 226s and s/c. got 4 s/c,s under the bench.

HJ-ETEX

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: ENGINE SWAP
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2013, 10:36:41 PM »
It sounds like an interesting idea, but you have the problem of an engine that may be harder to get parts for than a 226. I have also been surprised to learn that AMC switched out auto trans a bit so you may have something other than a GM Hydramatic. Regardless, an AMC trans of that era has a torque tube (enclosed) drive shaft which means it can not be used "as is."
If you are going to make the effort, I would think a much later engine and trans would be a better choice.
KFOCI VP 2001-2005
1951 Kaiser Deluxe /327 Chevy
1951 Kaiser Deluxe (no funny stuff)
1968 Kaiser Commando V6
1961 Willys 2WD 134 F-Head SW
1963 Kaiser FC170

kaiserfrazerlibrary

• KFOCI Historian
    • AOL Instant Messenger - none
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - none
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2013, 07:12:17 AM »
If my information is correct, when AMC started building the V-8 in house, they went with a Borg-Warner automatic & then went to Chrysler Torque-Flites.  Also, according to the SAE paper that the lead engineers wrote about developing the AMC V-8, their early work led them up a blind alley in terms of turning the concept into production line material so they started back at square one and re-thought the whole thing.  These were the men who led the development at Kaiser-Frazer.

dusty

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2013, 03:52:25 PM »
from what I have read about the amc v8 it was a 289 that went to 327 and would run circles around 88  Olds, I have checked the availability of parts and no problem. I just wanted something from an independent I have seen enough chev. engine swaps and front end sections, just wanted to be different.

boatingbill

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2013, 11:53:55 PM »
Dusty: When I was working on my '65 Marlin engine in the early 70's  the dealer told me
that I had ordered that last set of cast rocker arms the factory had. It had the 327 ci
option. The base engine was the six, then the 287, and finally the 327ci. I got the
impression at the time that engine parts were scarce.

dusty

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2013, 07:34:30 PM »
Well boatingbill that's the kind of info I need , in order to make decisions. I'll check it out Thanks .  you and the forum and its contributors have been a great help . 

DTort96646

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2013, 05:05:23 AM »
Best to use the later 67 and up AMC V8's. They are all small block designs. The earlier 287 and 327 AMC V8's were heavier and produced less power than the later AMC V8's. The later AMC V8's are easier to get parts for and easier to modify. I have a 1971 AMC V8 in my Kaiser product. After 1972, AMC used the Chrysler Corporate automatic. It's basically an unbreakable combination. I can give you this as factual info because I started my automotive career with Jeep and AMC in 1963. Still with Jeep.

kaiserfrazerlibrary

• KFOCI Historian
    • AOL Instant Messenger - none
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - none
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2013, 09:08:44 AM »
Is the car in the Darrin Registry?

DTort96646

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2013, 11:13:47 AM »
Yes it is. Number 357.I'm 2054.

HJ-ETEX

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2013, 08:21:48 PM »
Thank you Dtort and Boatingbill for your testimony about AMC engines & trans. A thing to watch out for is the bellhousing bolt patterns on the engine blocks changed when the TQs replaced the Borg-Warner trans. You won't be putting a TQ on the 67-71 engines.
Another thing is the pre 67 AMC V8s did not have full flow oil filters.
And yes Dusty, a 57 AMC Rebel was a fast car but it had the 327 AMC V8 with a classic dual bowl Holley 4bbl in a small, light body. There weren't many sold because people were buying Ramblers for economy and not many survive - because they were Ramblers. They were uni-body cars that were junked when a little rust was found and they didn't get the respect they deserved.
KFOCI VP 2001-2005
1951 Kaiser Deluxe /327 Chevy
1951 Kaiser Deluxe (no funny stuff)
1968 Kaiser Commando V6
1961 Willys 2WD 134 F-Head SW
1963 Kaiser FC170

DTort96646

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2013, 04:14:41 AM »
Just for the record HJ-ETEX, when the GM trans was used in the Wagonners, they were made with the adapters from the factory.The AMC V8s made before 1967 were completely different engines. The 1957 Rebel was a 287 V8 not 327. The 287 was a solid lifter engine and a smaller displacement version of the 327 AMC engine. I lived it , we sold Nash after Kaiser stopped passenger car production in the US. Nash and Hudson merged to become AMC. The Chyrsler trans will bolt right up, but it must be the AMC version. On pre 1972 AMC engines, a crankshaft flange adapter must be used to center the torque convertor or a 1972 and later crankshaft must be used. It's all quite simple.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2013, 04:18:02 AM by DTort96646 »

dusty

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2013, 09:51:18 PM »
D-Tort, the part I am interested in is the motor mount configuration when you used the 1971 combo. my thoughts being basically lazy is using the whole shooting match complete from a donated car. so I have a/c p/s b/b etc.

DTort96646

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2013, 04:57:59 AM »
Dusty, The AMC has three motor mounts. Two in front, one in the rear. The front mounts are on the sides of the block. You can cut the brackets off the AMC crossmember to help fabricate front brackets to the Kaiser chassis. The rear mount is at the rear center of the transmission. You may have to fabricate a rear crossmember in the Kaiser chassis to hold the rear cushion mount. After that,  have a propshaft made , exhaust system, fuel lines, electrical and what accessories you want, and you're good to go. Remember the Kaiser is 6 volt and the AMC is 12 volt. I'd keep the 12 volt system. Hope this helps. It would be the same situation if you were to swap a GM or Ford into a Kaiser.

dusty

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2013, 05:54:37 PM »
THANKS EVERYONE, FOR YOUR INFORMATION. TDort, you made the idea seem like a cake walk, after I have restored to driver condition a 54 Manhattan that is now in Granet Bay Tx. and a freshen up job now in Indiana. My latest is a 53 all vinyl, Holley Green  Dragon that won Gold at the san diego  national and Concours d'Elegance  in Chico, Ca.( by invite only).