Author Topic: Noise in the rear brake drum  (Read 5014 times)

51kaiser

• View Profile
    • Email
Noise in the rear brake drum
« on: July 10, 2013, 08:37:26 PM »
Need some help here, My subject is a 51 Kaiser with a clunking in the right rear drum. Initially I heard a light scraping intermittently and when I pulled the drum I found a broken brake spring (top) that was floating around and occasionally getting stuck, thus the intermittent sound, easy stuff right? OK, replace the spring, check the shoes and drum, everything looks good, put it back together. New Noise! Clunk Clunk Clunk with each revolution. Take it apart again, reinspect, all looks good, reassemble, drive......seems ok, .........except when I turn right.......clunk clunk clunk, turn left....quiet...........straight , faint but it's there, turn right again, clunk clunk clunk........  Got any ideas?

dpledger

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Noise in the rear brake drum
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2013, 10:07:04 PM »
Sounds like a shoe issue-been there seen that with Kaisers and other cars.  if they are set a bit too tight (close to the drum) a turn will put enough stress on the system to allow a high spot to rub with each revolution. This would resolve itself as the high spot is worn down. You also could try adjusting the shoes out just a bit, which should give you enough clearance to avoid the contact. This is relatively easy, as you don't have to pull the drum again, but can do the adjustment with the cam. Best would to do one shoe at a time to isolate which one is the problem.

BigDave LM6174

• 1951 Kaiser Deluxe & 1952 Henry J Corsair Deluxe
    • MSN Messenger - dball344@msn.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2013, 01:25:43 AM »
I agree, sounds like shoes may be too tight. 
Big Dave
KFOCI LM 6174
Whittier, CA.
1951 Kaiser Deluxe
1952 Henry J Corsair Deluxe
1958 Lido 14 Sailboat W/Trailer
1958 Carry All Trailer

Corsairdeluxe

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2013, 01:45:45 PM »
I have solved this issue in the pass by camfering the leading and trailing edges of the lining
Jim Brown aka Corsairdeluxe
10 Henrys and 1 ALLSTATE
behind me. J less at the moment and having irrational thoughts.

joefrazer

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2013, 02:11:09 PM »
I encountered a similar issue with my 53. I removed the drum and noticed that the metal edge of the shoe was contacting the drum where the cast outer ring is attached to the steel face. I replaced the drum and that ended the problem. It appears the drum was warped...probably when the PO tried to remove it with the wrong tool.

51kaiser

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2013, 02:12:24 PM »
Thanks for the tips, I will try those solutions. I actually backed the eccentric adjuster way off thinking that might work, perhaps I should tighten them back up so the shoes are actually " dragging" on the friction surface? Will keep you posted as I progress.

51kaiser

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2013, 06:17:30 PM »
Just got  a tip from an old Jeep guy, apparently old jeeps have the same type of tapered axle and keyway that our Kaisers do. Well, it seems the torque on the rear axle nut on the old jeeps is 240 ft lbs (160 according to my manual) I only tightened the nut as much as i could with a 12" adjustable wrench, could this be my issue?

Fid

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2013, 10:56:19 PM »
If the sound you're hearing is a clicking sound when you start off or accelerate quickly,  yes. If the axle nuts aren't tight enough you will hear a loud metallic clicking sound when you accelerate.  I've had this happen several times on a couple of different cars and had an old time mechanic not recognized it and told me what it was I never would've figured it out.
1953 Henry J Corsair Deluxe
Edgar Kaiser's custom 1951 Henry J
1951 Kaiser Special
1952 Allstate Deluxe

Need your classic car radio repaired? I repair vacuum tube radios

boatingbill

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2013, 01:15:38 PM »
51kaiser: 160 pounds is the minimum according to the manual. Be sure to support the
bottom of the axle housing with a block or jack just behind the backing plate. This is
to prevent you torquing the leaf spring and affecting your torque  reading. Or as they
used to tell me, "kid tighten that nut until your but pops through your jeans".

51kaiser

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2013, 07:57:40 PM »
well, it wasn't an improperly torqued axle nut, noise still there, will take drum off again!!

superk226

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2013, 10:02:29 PM »
I think you have too much end play in the axle or the backing plate is slightly bent out. Noise on a right turn would mean that the axle is moving inboard far enough that the edge of the drum is touching the backing plate or the inside of the drum is touching the brake shoes. If this is the problem you should be able to see marks on the drum where it is touching either the backing plate or the brake shoes.

51kaiser

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2013, 07:27:17 PM »
I got it, apparrently when i first took it apart to replace the broken spring I did not pay careful attention to the e-brake bar position, when i reinstalled the bar I flipped it so that the forward shoe was not in its proper place, it was out about a 1/8 inch off the backing plate and was hitting the inner part of the drum. All seems good now, back on the road. Thanks

Fid

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2013, 08:43:15 PM »
I've done that and it sounded just as you described. I didn't think anyone else would do it so I didn't suggest that!  Glad you found it.
1953 Henry J Corsair Deluxe
Edgar Kaiser's custom 1951 Henry J
1951 Kaiser Special
1952 Allstate Deluxe

Need your classic car radio repaired? I repair vacuum tube radios

51kaiser

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2013, 07:18:52 PM »
Lowell, you over-estimated my abilities! if anyone could screw up something that simple it would be me, in the future don't hesitate to state what might seem obvious to more seasoned Kaiser folks. ;)