Author Topic: Where is the "correct" placement for outside mirrors on a 54 Manhattan?  (Read 1593 times)

54 Kaiser

• View Profile
Mine has mirrors on both sides of the car but, they are mounted on the doors, just outside the wind vents. (Mounted on the flat metal at the base of the vents. Not on the angular part of the window frame.)

BOTH of the mirrors seem useless where they are. They can't really be "aimed" correctly to see out the back. The one on the passenger side cannot be turned "in" towards the driver far enough to see straight back. It's looking at the ditches on the side of the road.

It could be the mirrors themselves but I suspect it's the position of them. The one on the passenger side is almost impossible to see through the vent window.

Any advise would be appreciated. 

joefrazer

• View Profile
Outside mirrors were dealer items and as such, they mounted them in different places. The most common mirror on a 54 is a Ford unit and mounts on the door, just below the stainless trim and just below the vent window. A clamp on style that attaches to the door frame was also used, but is alot less common.
Here's a picture of my 54 with the Ford style mirror -> http://www.kaiserfrazercars.com/54kman.JPG
Here's one with the door post style mirror -> http://www.kaiserfrazercars.com/54espec.JPG

Gordie

• MSN Messenger - gordies1@verizon.net
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Gordie
    • View Profile
    • Email
Kaiser-Frazer offered outside rear view mirrors of the clamp on variety from 1946 thru 1955 and door mounted mirrors for the 1951-55 models.  The latter were mounted high on the doors near the front of the vent windows and were mounted so that the vent window would open barely clearing the mirror.  Outside mirrors were not a popular accessory in the early years but when most states started requiring them the original factory mirrors started getting scarce.  Many aftermarket manufacturers started making duplicate mirrors of popular styles like the 1955 and 1957 Fords and GM and Mopar cars.  Most were installed on our K-F cars after they were a requirement and so you will find a variety of styles.  Jay Fisher makes an expensive but correct mirror for the later Kaisers.  I think that they were used on 50's Hudson's too.
Member #3151 Since June 1974
Vice President K.F.O.C.I. 2013-2017  President 2018-2019
'47 Graham Paige Frazer                                   
'51 Kaiser Deluxe club coupe       
'51 Kaiser customized convertible 
'52 Allstate serial#39
'53 Aero Eagle
'54 Aero Eagle Custom